Can only start apache/mysql from command line

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby Wittner » 08. August 2008 15:45

Hi,

I have to open a command line prompt and run the apache_start and mysql_start batch files to get both working on my system. Can't use either as services or run them from xampp control panel. I had to do a couple of re-installs so I guess something is still stuck somewhere! Anyhow, I can work fine using this set up but it is a pain to be honest and I have to leave a command window open for both apache and mysql. Any comments appreciated,

cheers,

Wittner
Wittner

Postby ukprotect » 11. August 2008 13:17

Check Administrative Tools/Services to see if the previous Apache or mysql are installed as a service. If so, use your new installed xampp to uninstall both of them and install them again.

Inside the C:\xampp\apache folder is apache_uninstallservice.bat and apache_installservice.bat

Inside the C:\xampp\mysql folder is mysql_uninstallservice.bat and mysql_installservice.bat

These will help you with what you want.
Thinking is the hardest thing there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it.
ukprotect

Postby Wittner » 12. August 2008 15:10

Many thanks ukprotect. I have managed to solve the problem beautifully via a pm I got which did the trick. I'd like to publish the answer, so I'll ask the pm'er if they are ok with me publishing it here. I also learned a bit more from their answer the way things work behind the scenes,

cheers,

Wittner
Wittner

Return to XAMPP for Windows