OK, now what?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

OK, now what?

Postby dallen » 10. August 2008 01:51

Hi All,

Obviously I'm new at this so please bear with my stupid questions.

I downloaded and installed xampp yesterday in hopes of being able to work with Pixelpost software (or any other php programming) on my local hard drive. My brother has a Pixelpost application on a Blue Host server. I have copied the entire directory and its subdirectories on to my hard drive.

Now what do I need to do next to get this to work? I can start Apache and MySql in xampp - no problem. I guess I need to create a database (???). If so, how do I do that? Like I said, I've never messed with php or MySql. I think if I can get my foot in the door I'll be able to figure the rest out.

Thanks for any help.
dallen
dallen

Postby markljackson » 10. August 2008 02:04

Wow nothing like going directly into the fire, right out of the frying pan.

I would go to the pixelpost site, and see if they have instructions on how to set up the program. Then copy over the files. Be warned it may not work as Bluehost, like all hosts have some apps configured for their boxes, setups, and permissions structure. It's also possible you may have to do extensive editing on config files.

Sorry I don't use pixelpost, so I can't be much more help.
markljackson

Postby dallen » 10. August 2008 02:11

Thanks mark.

I went to pixelpost's 'getting started' web page and here's the first two steps:
===================
First, download Pixelpost (there is a download link on our home page).
Second, create a database in your MySQL administration.
===================

Here's their getting dtarted link: http://www.pixelpost.org:80/docs/GettingStarted/Install

So how do I create a database with xampp?

Thanks for any help.
dallen
dallen

Postby Nobbie » 10. August 2008 15:29

>So how do I create a database with xampp?

Start "phpMyAdmin" from the Xampp Menu and create a new database.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows