Setup_xampp replaces relative paths with absolute paths

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Setup_xampp replaces relative paths with absolute paths

Postby mjwiech » 29. July 2008 09:58

I run Xampp from a USB memory key.

Recently I installed the newest version of Xampp (using direct unzip method) and then decided to add Perl distribution for Xampp.

According to the instructions I executed setup_xampp. Everything went smoothly - but all relative paths in files were replaced by absolute paths.

E.g.
Code: Select all
\xampp\apache  -->  H:\xampp\apache

This defeats the idea of program portability because today the USB key can be assigned drive letter "H" but tomorrow, on another computer, it may become "K" or "F" or whatever.

:?: Therefore I have a question. Is it possible to modify the installation procedure so that no drive letter is prepended to the paths?

Kind regards
MJ Wiechowski
mjwiech

Postby Mystic » 29. July 2008 23:21

I think you want to use the zip file which doesn't have an installer and do not use setup_xampp.bat

From the download page:
I want to start XAMPP without setup!«
If you extract XAMPP in a top level folder like c:\xampp or d:\xampp etc., you can start XAMPP directly. That means you do not need to execute the "setup_xampp.bat" at all. Apache, MySQL and Mercury Mail server will start up correctly! FileZilla FTP server will not start because it requires absolute paths. Please note: Do not use a double-xampp-folder like c:\xampp\xampp! You need a single-xampp folder like d:\xampp(\apache and so on). Otherwise you must run the "setup-xampp.bat" to set up the path configurations.
Mystic

Postby mjwiech » 31. July 2008 17:41

Mystic wrote:I think you want to use the zip file which doesn't have an installer and do not use setup_xampp.bat

From the download page:
I want to start XAMPP without setup!«
If you extract XAMPP in a top level folder like c:\xampp or d:\xampp etc., you can start XAMPP directly. That means you do not need to execute the "setup_xampp.bat" at all. Apache, MySQL and Mercury Mail server will start up correctly! FileZilla FTP server will not start because it requires absolute paths. Please note: Do not use a double-xampp-folder like c:\xampp\xampp! You need a single-xampp folder like d:\xampp(\apache and so on). Otherwise you must run the "setup-xampp.bat" to set up the path configurations.

That's true as along as I do not add any extras to the standard Xampp distribution.

However please notice that I decided to add Perl to Xampp. In such case it is not enough to simply copy Perl distribution directly into Xampp directory. You are supposed to run setup-xampp.bat. The instructions tell you to do so:
For the ZIP Addon please unpack the package into the XAMPP main directory directly. Afterwards execute the "setup_xampp.bat". That's all. Installer Addon package makes everything automatically. There is nothing to do.
In my case there was a lot to do: replace everywhere all absolute paths beginning with H:\xampp or H:/xampp with relative paths.

Kind regards
mjw
mjwiech

Return to XAMPP for Windows