MySQL Administrator: Configuration file could not be found

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL Administrator: Configuration file could not be found

Postby guischarf » 09. July 2008 23:53

Hello,

I installed MySQL GUI tools after installing XAMPP (Installer method under Windows XP). Trying to run MySQL Administrator there is a warning at the beginning about the configuration file that could not be found. After that the administrator installs, but with many tools grayed out.

I read several posts in MySQL forum (http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?34,128 ... msg-128259), but none solves the problem. I think there could be a problem with MySQL configuration file. If mysql is installed on Windows with its own mysql installer, not XAMPP, it is configured to read my.INI as the configuration file. XAMPP installation on windows configures MySQL to use my. CNF, as in LINUX.

Could it be that MySQL Administrator is configured in Windows to look for my.INI instead of my.CNF?

A minor problem when using CNF extensions in Windows is that this extensions are recognized by windows as 'Windows SpeedDial ' files, therefore, it cannot be associated, for example, with text editors.
guischarf

Postby Milligan » 10. July 2008 00:39

Last edited by Milligan on 17. July 2008 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Milligan

Postby guischarf » 10. July 2008 01:03

The problem is solved. In windows register, XAMPP stores the path to the executable as (in my case)

Code: Select all
"C:\Program files\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe" "--defaults-file=C:\Program files\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf" mysql

Notice the double quotes here

"--defaults-

It should be removed and placed here

-file="C:\Program files

So the whole string ends up

"C:\Program files\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe" --defaults-file="C:\Program files\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf" mysql

To find this string, search for data "bin\my.cnf".

This seem to be a small bug in the installer. Where are bugs reported?
guischarf

Postby guischarf » 10. July 2008 01:06

The winmysqladmin is deprecated, so either use the command line \xampp\mysql\bin\mysqladmin or phpMyAdmin (the preferred GUI method).

Hi, I am not using winmysqladmin, but MySQL Administrator, part of MySQL GUI Tools.
guischarf

Return to XAMPP for Windows