Sending emails to internet (different method)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Sending emails to internet (different method)

Postby biztastic » 09. July 2008 13:16

Hello, I am running XAMPP with phpbb3 installed, I would like to send emails using my gmail account so I went ahead and enabled the smtp option in my gmail account, then I set the php.ini to connect to my gmail account using my password, I also changed the sendmail.ini to work this way.

I went to massmail in phpbb3 then sent a mail to myself, but it says "[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_messenger.php on line 410: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. l30sm9081824waf.25" so I'm guessing google requires SSL or something which is not being used here. How can I get it to work? I enabled SSL cookies in phpbb3 but that didn't work.
biztastic

Postby Wiedmann » 09. July 2008 14:04

I set the php.ini to connect to my gmail account using my password,

This can't work:
- (SMTP) mail() can't use TLS/SSL
- (SMTP) mail() can't use a username/password

I also changed the sendmail.ini to work this way.

You can configure PHP (in "php.ini") to use sendmail. But you must update sendmail to the latest version (+ SSL add-on) before you can use a GMAIL account (TLS/SSL).
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby biztastic » 09. July 2008 14:34

Thanks I enabled sendmail through Php.ini and phpbb3 says the message has been sent, there's no errors on my side but my message never comes through to gmail

I also followed the guide here http://www.projectpier.org/node/817 using stunnel and still no go even though the software reports it's getting through.
biztastic

Postby Wiedmann » 09. July 2008 15:13

there's no errors on my side

You have enabled the error/debug.log for sendmail?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby biztastic » 09. July 2008 16:06

yes it's enabled,

I found if I disable sendmail in php.ini that it connects to stunnel, but stunnel doesn't know my username or password for gmail so I get "[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_messenger.php on line 410: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at
530 5.5.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=14257 l37sm9313006waf.23" in phpbb3

With Sendmail enabled stunnel reports no activity and phpbb3 says it went through no problem even though it doesn't.

When I Disable sendmail then my message goes through Stunnel but again, will not work without authentication, so I'm thinking it's getting stuck at Sendmail (sendmail is taking the message and saying it was delivered when it wasn't) somehow and not using stunnel for ssl encryption.

Is there a command to tell stunnel directly what my username and password are, and skip sendmail?
biztastic

Postby Wiedmann » 09. July 2008 16:40

it connects to stunnel

What is "stunnel"?

(sendmail is taking the message and saying it was delivered when it wasn't)

You have a debug.log for such a mail?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby biztastic » 09. July 2008 16:48

the debug.log is empty, I found stunnel at http://www.projectpier.org/node/817 and followed that guide, it's basically just to enable SSL for the message. I think gmail must be actively blocking connection attempts/trashing the mails because everything on my side says it's good to go. I give up for now, maybe someday I'll test the email feature out on a real domain instead of local :D for right now I'll just keep learning how everything works besides email.

or maybe I'll setup an email server and send myself emails that way, but then that's local and I can't be sure it would work in a "real world" setup.

Oh well, Thanks for all the help :)

OH! before I forget, I know it's not related to XAMPP so if you can't answer then I understand but... how do I enable HTML usage for phpbb3? It's driving me mad that I can't find HTML features anywhere since I have no idea how to work BBCode.
biztastic

Postby Wiedmann » 09. July 2008 16:55

the debug.log is empty,

Then there must be something wrong with your senmail or PHP configuration:
- debug.log is not enabled
- or PHP is not really using sendmail

BTW:
Sorry, no idea about phpBB (never installed this software).
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows