[How2] Setting up a XAMMP server with a domain name.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Was this helpful and/or informative?

Yes
40%
Null Vote (no opinion)
20%
No.
40%

Total votes : 5

[How2] Setting up a XAMMP server with a domain name.

Postby Yukan » 23. June 2008 01:51

First off, you need to know your computer's IP. With windows XP and Vista
you can find this by opening your Command Prompt interface.
Code: Select all
Run: cmd.exe

use the following command without quotation 'ipconfig /all'

Look at the list of info that appears. You want to write down your
IP Address.

Then, go to this website, register for free, and setup a domain using the IP you wrote down.

Then test it out by opening the new domain URL (its a sub-domain)
in your browser. It should come up with no errors.

I hope this helped someone. :)

EDIT:
I forgot to put the URL. ^^;
http://www.dnsexit.com (link thanks to See post.
or.
https://www.dyndns.com

If people outside your LAN (local areea network) can't access your domain, you might need to PortForward.
A detailed guid is here:
http://www.portforward.com
Last edited by Yukan on 23. June 2008 02:59, edited 5 times in total.
Yukan

Postby brduran » 23. June 2008 02:04

Then, go to this website, reghister for free, and setup a domain using the IP you wrote down.

I'm sorry, what website?
brduran

Postby Yukan » 23. June 2008 02:06

Sorry, i forgot to put the URL.. ^^;;

I'll update the 1st post with it now.
Yukan

Postby w4vy » 23. June 2008 02:25

Your title "[How2] Free domain to use with your XAMPP server." doesn't match what you're asking dude, and what's the poll for ? Anyway just my 2pence worth if I was you I wouldn't use DynDNS and would go with DNSEXIT instead and use their auto IP changer updater. The fact that you're using a service like DynDNS tells me you have a Dynamic IP address so just making an account with DynDNS will not be enough as as soon as your IP changes your site will go down. I tried DynDNS at first and soon changed to DNSEXIT I feel there service is better and I also like their auto updater.

www.dnsexit.com

hope that helps

w4vy
w4vy

Postby Yukan » 23. June 2008 02:57

Actually, my ISP Grand River Mutual uses static IP for everyone. My IP has been the same for over a year. And the service you mentioned costs money. But I will put it in the 1st post with a link2 your post.
Yukan

Postby w4vy » 23. June 2008 05:28

Yukan wrote:Actually, my ISP Grand River Mutual uses static IP for everyone. My IP has been the same for over a year. And the service you mentioned costs money. But I will put it in the 1st post with a link2 your post.

I use DNSEXIT because I have a dynamic IP and I use their auto IP updater and it doesn't cost a penny. When I tried DynDNS they tried to charge me which is why I left them for DNSEXIT. I don't understand why you are using a service like this if you have a static IP address anyway.

p.s thanks for adding my link though ;) let me know if your stuck with out and i'll do the same, I think there's quite alot of people having all the same problems on here (especialy with mail lol)

bye for now.

w4vy
w4vy

Postby brduran » 23. June 2008 05:50

Hi Yukan,

Since you have a Static IP you could ask your Domain Hoster to add an ARecord on their servers that points to your Static IP.

Host Points To
@ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
brduran

Postby Yukan » 23. June 2008 23:52

brduran wrote:Hi Yukan,

Since you have a Static IP you could ask your Domain Hoster to add an ARecord on their servers that points to your Static IP.

Host Points To
@ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The issue is, I down't have access rights to the hosting plan. My mother pays the net bill, and my name isn't on the list of 'other authorized users'. Meaning I can't make changes to anything on the account.
Yukan

Return to XAMPP for Windows