Symbolic Linking

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Symbolic Linking

Postby rouge568 » 06. May 2008 00:45

Hello.

I am trying to set up lampp with /htdocs as a symbolic link. It links to a copy of htdocs on a usb stick (which also has xampp on it so I can access my server on the go!). Anyways, it isn't liking my symbolic links, and keeps shooting me a 403 forbidden and this in the error log: [code][Fri May 02 23:06:15 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /opt/lampp/htdocs[/code] I have allowed access to /opt/lampp and /media/disk/xampp and subfolders (chmod -R 777). I have also gone into httpd.conf and edited it to try and allow symbolic links. (changing document root to /media/disk/xampp/htdocs as well as /opt/lampp/htdocs, plus putting 'allow' or 'all' to all subsettings) I have no passwords set for security.
Anybody have any clues as to what could be going on or how to fix this? Thanks in advance.
rouge568

Postby Oliv7 » 07. May 2008 13:52

Salut Rouge568,

You must create symbolic link to your /opt/lampp directory:
Code: Select all
ln -s /path_to_your_new_lampp_directory /opt/lampp

If you're interested I developped live scripts to create Live Usb with Xampp.

You can see the project here:
http://cooperation-iws.gensys-net.eu

@+Oliv
Oliv7

Postby rouge568 » 07. May 2008 19:43

Yes, I've done that, and through plain navigation, the symbolic link works fine. The trouble is getting lampp to recognize it.

I'll take a look at your site.
Edit: I looked at your site and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know how to get lampp to follow my symbolic linking?
rouge568

Postby Oliv7 » 17. May 2008 08:28

Hi Rouge 568,

Did you notice that the symbolic link is pointing to your all lampp directory (and not to htdocs)

It should work perfectly well if you point to the whole lampp directory and if the partition is formatted in ext3.

Edit: My site is aimed for those who wants to have already setup Xampp environment in a key USB or HDD usb :wink:

@+Oliv
Oliv7

Postby rouge568 » 17. May 2008 12:41

Are you sure? I think I should clarify my situation. I have xampp on my USB stick for using at windows machines on the go. I have lampp on my linux-based machine, but I want to use the same /htdocs folder so the dbs stay the same whereever I am.

I'm a bit confused as to what you meant in the last post; here are the commands I have tried, non getting the job done.

ln -s /media/disk/xampp/htdocs/ /opt/lampp/
ln -s /media/disk/xampp/htdocs /opt/lampp
(the above two create a /htdocs link in my root lampp folder, what I expect should be the case. the bottom two give me /xampp, which it does not seem that any paths would follow. e.g. files point to /opt/lampp/htdocs/wiki, not /opt/lampp/xampp/htdocs/wiki)
ln -s /media/disk/xampp/ /opt/lampp/
ln -s /media/disk/xampp/ /opt/lampp/htdocs
rouge568

Postby Oliv7 » 19. May 2008 08:40

I guessed you would told that: a mix between xampp linux and xampp windows.

As you put your htdocs in a fat32 partition, maybe you should verify the users right to access this partition.

@+Oliv
Oliv7

Postby rouge568 » 19. May 2008 21:55

[quote="Oliv7"]I guessed you would told that: a mix between xampp linux and xampp windows.[/quote]
Exactly.
I have all read/write/execute rights on the disk (chmod +rwx -R -v), but it is fat16. Would this affect anything?
rouge568

Postby Oliv7 » 28. May 2008 15:06

Hi,

You might also check mount parameters command:

mount rw,user (nobody) ?, exec ... /dev/sdx

Have a google query on that, you will find stuffs,

@+Oliv
Oliv7

Return to XAMPP for Linux