Unable to access web server from outside network

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to access web server from outside network

Postby The Lepricon » 14. May 2008 03:11

OK, this is driving me nuts. I admit I'm a newbie, but I thought this was simple.

My web site works fine from within my network. But, if I go outside my network, aka my neighbors house, and try to go to my web site nothing happens, the server just times out. I have port 80 forwarded in my router, my windows firewall off, and as long mercury service is running apache service will not start, but will run if started before starting mercury service.

What am I doing wrong here, can anybody help?
Last edited by The Lepricon on 15. May 2008 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
The Lepricon

Yes. I have the same problem

Postby mikepaniagua » 14. May 2008 14:16

But, if you start first the server without Mercury and start Mercury after you begin to work (example: start with the page http://localhost or run phpMy Admin) the Mercury doesn't take the control of the server.

:)

Bye
mikepaniagua

Postby The Lepricon » 15. May 2008 00:20

I edited the Original post to more properly explain my problem.

For some unknown reason I cannot access my web site from outside my network. I have port 80 forwarded to the server machine. I have my Windows XP firewall off. Apache is running, and as far as I know nothing else is using port 80. Mercury server is stopped. And everything works great from another computer connected to the same router. But, no one outside my router can go to my site, they get a "server timed out" message.

Is there some other setting I need to adjust? Something in the Apache conf file?

I need help desperately.
The Lepricon

Postby ifokkema » 15. May 2008 08:32

Do you have a second machine on your network to double check that your machine is listening on port 80 of ANY IP address? Just to make sure Apache is not only listening to 127.0.0.1:80, in which case it will only work from your machine...
ifokkema

Postby Nobbie » 15. May 2008 08:47

What happens with "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" from outside? Any response?
Nobbie

Postby The Lepricon » 15. May 2008 20:09

ifokkema wrote:Do you have a second machine on your network to double check that your machine is listening on port 80 of ANY IP address? Just to make sure Apache is not only listening to 127.0.0.1:80, in which case it will only work from your machine...

yes works just fine from another machine on same network
The Lepricon

Postby The Lepricon » 15. May 2008 20:12

Nobbie wrote:What happens with "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" from outside? Any response?

yes, ping is good.

my other machine runs Mercury and my POP server is accessible from anywhere. so I am sure all my port forwarding is fine.

when I get home later I plan to do a port scan to make sure port 80 is open.
The Lepricon

Postby The Lepricon » 16. May 2008 01:57

OK, Shields Up shows that Port 80 is "Stealth", or not responding. For some reason my router is not forwarding Port 80. Wierd, all my other ports that I have forwarded are working fine, but not 80.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for the help. I will now have to look into why my router is not forwarding port 80, and that should take care of it, I hope.
The Lepricon

Postby ifokkema » 16. May 2008 08:26

Well, good that the problem gets narrowed down... :) Does your router have any log file for the internal firewall? That might help by providing a little more info.
ifokkema

Postby The Lepricon » 19. May 2008 01:48

Well, I finally got this figured out. The problem is that Verizon is blocking incoming traffic on port 80. And port 8080 as well.

I fought with them long and hard all to no avail. One of the techs finally was able to tell me where to find my Terms and Conditions on their website (it was so well hidden that it took him about 15 minutes to find it), and it states very clearly in there that they do not allow ANY servers if you have their residential service. So, they block port 80 to enforce that.

So, there's no hope of having a regular web site on my home server. I can only do so by telling everybody to go thru another port.

Thanks everyone for your help.
The Lepricon

Return to XAMPP for Windows