Preventing mysql from being checked as service - [fixed it]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Preventing mysql from being checked as service - [fixed it]

Postby ruth » 11. April 2008 21:54

Hi,

I am totally new to all of this. I wanted to be able to play around with design templates for phpbb, not php just doing layouts and such, and was told I needed a server, php, mysql. I found a link to xampp on the phpbb site and it seemed very easy so I got it but now I have a problem.

I have installed and uninstalled 3 times and no matter what I do, even though I do NOT check anything under the Services section when installing it, once I shut down my computer and then start it the next day the mysql has the service box checked.

I only want localhost, and I don't want anything running unless I start it. How do I prevent this from constantly changing the mysql to a service?

Sorry this is long, but I don't know anything about any of this and wanted to make sure I had explained fully. Thanks for any help.

Ruth
Last edited by ruth on 12. April 2008 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
ruth

I seem to have fixed it

Postby ruth » 12. April 2008 11:19

I seemed to have fixed whatever was causing it to be checked as a service. I'm on WinXP Pro, SP2. I don't know if any of this fixed the issue or if it was just this install worked, or that I didn't do something on this one I did on the others that somehow caused the problem. This is what I did, and I have no idea if any of it did anything!

1. I uninstalled xampp completely.
2. I did a search of the HD for xampp and selected and deleted any files that showed up.
3. I did a search for sql and selected and deleted [with fingers crossed] all files that were dated as modified from 4/9 the date of the 1st install.
4. I deleted all phpbb files I had installed.
5. I did a search for php and deleted all files dated from 4/9
6. I opened zone alarm and removed all the xampp and apache and mysql programs.
7. I rebooted the computer and repeated all the searches just to make sure I hadn't missed anything and check ZoneAlarm again for programs.
8. I reinstalled xampp, reinstalled the phpbb2 and phpbb3.
9. Stopped the Apache and mysql in the xampp control panel and exited
10. Rebooted the computer and started the xampp control panel and it no longer checked mysql as a service.

Ruth
ruth

Return to XAMPP for Windows