CHMOD and Vista?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

CHMOD and Vista?

Postby Jinxt » 26. February 2008 03:34

At first I thought I could just change the read/write permissions like in XP. Nope.

Then I went into all the advanced settings changing privileges all over to allow full access to the files no matter which user or which group was accessing. Nope.

Thought maybe I could run Filezilla server and connect to my own machine using an FTP client with a user that has full permissions and CHMOD the files like that. Nope.

So what small, insignificant detail am I completely oblivious to that will let me change the file permissions in a way that will make xampp see the files as chmodded to anything besides 0666? This is driving me up the flippin wall.
Jinxt

Postby Wiedmann » 26. February 2008 12:02

Thought maybe I could run Filezilla server ... and CHMOD the files like that. Nope.

FileZilla Server doesn't understand the command "CHMOD" ("CHMOD" is not availible on Windows)

At first I thought I could just change the read/write permissions like in XP. Nope.

The only thing which Apache/PHP knows on Windows, is the "read-only attribute.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... c1033.mspx
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Codesmith » 26. February 2008 21:21

There is no execute permission in windows, if you can read a file and its an executable file type then that file is executable.
Codesmith

Postby Wiedmann » 27. February 2008 00:07

There is no execute permission in windows,

Sure, Windows NT (XP/Vista/2003) have this permission. But most OSS software (comming from Linux), like Apache or PHP, don't understand the Windows privileges system.
--> they only know the simple file attributes like hidden or read-only.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows