Question about using XAMPP in production

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Question about using XAMPP in production

Postby elvisparsley » 22. February 2008 07:31

I know and I read that I should not use XAMPP for production.

But I know some people are using it for production for many years and they don't have any problem.

So I want to know why we can't use it for production purpose. What are the limitations? If there are some, is there any way we can go around the limitations?

I read about the security but there is a way to make it safe and you can read it in the home page of xampp.

If anyone give me some advice on this, I will appreciate it.

Thanks.
elvisparsley

Postby Scory » 22. February 2008 12:15

Of course, you can use it for production, but it is *recommend* for development.

It's pretty easy to use it for production.

You only have to keep in mind, that everybody, that uses Xampp, "knows" about your directory structure and the tools, you have installed. For example the Xampp Panel (http://localhost/xampp), the PhpMyAdmin Tool (http://localhost/phpmyadmin) and so on.

If you dont want other people using this Admin Tools, you have to hide or protect these. There are many ways to accomplish this:

a) use virtual hosts and define different DocumentRoot than "htdocs" which is default for "localhost"

b) or, hide the folders by simply renaming them (example: rename xampp-folder to xxaa - no one can "guess" that). But this a "weak" protection (even if it works pretty well).

c) or, protect the folders via .htaccess and Passwords.

d) or simply remove all of them!

For me, the best solution is using virtual hosts. So you can keep your original Xampp environment in your "localhost", but all requests coming from outside are routed to a different DocumentRoot - the "production" DocumentRoot.

Regards
Scory

P.S.: And, last not least, dont forget, that Xampp often uses VERY NEW releases of the software which is NOT YET tested in many production environments. That may be an issue also.
Scory

thank you for your reply

Postby elvisparsley » 22. February 2008 12:36

How about the traffic.

Is there any problem with 200 people visiting the website at once?

Will it make the website slower than using separate program installed?

Are there any other things different? Or the different thing is just security?
elvisparsley

Postby Scory » 22. February 2008 14:57

>Will it make the website slower than using separate program installed?

Sorry - but I think, you have a wrong idea about Xampp. It is *not* a single program, Xampp is simply a distribution of separate programs. There is *no* difference to standard Apache, MySQL, PHP installation.

That makes all your questions sensless.
Scory

Return to XAMPP for Windows