XMAPP(1.6.5) Service can NOT start under WinXP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XMAPP(1.6.5) Service can NOT start under WinXP

Postby newmike » 11. January 2008 03:19

Hi, I install XMAPP 1.6.5 into a machine, but XMAPP can not startup automatically after machine reboot.

I uses intallation method B - installation without the installer. The MySQL, Apache & XAMPP control panel work fine if I startup them manually. And then I try to install XAMPP control panel as an windows service, and that service startup MySQL, Apache. It failed. None of XAMPP control panel, mysql or apache startup after reboot machine. I found a service called XAMPP service, it is set as startup automatically, but in fact it will started and tehn stopped immediately, and pop up a alert say:
"The XAMPP Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."
My PC is Windows XP, Pro, SP2.

Any idea to fix this problem???

cheers[/b]
newmike

Postby newmike » 11. January 2008 03:30

I found the following error in event log, it seems there are something wrong in source code:

===========================================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: XAMPP
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 11/01/2008
Time: 2:47:04 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: ************(my PC)
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( XAMPP ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: XAMPP Service Error: 1063, StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed..

===========================================

So, is it an bug?
newmike

Postby newmike » 17. January 2008 05:05

hi, does anyone know how to fix this? It is an really annoying problem.
newmike

Postby Izzy » 17. January 2008 05:26

First uninstall all services that you set in the Control Panel including the Control Panel Service itself - there should be no ticks in the Svc boxes and no boxes ticked in Services Settings...

Stop any XAMPP modules that you may have running - Apache and MySQL etc.

Close the Control Panel.

Then run the *_uninstallservice.bat files in the .\xampp\Apache and .\xampp\mysql directories.

Then follow the sc fixes for Apache and MySQL in this post just to make sure all services are remove from the registry:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopi ... 772#113772

Other than that, you may need to uninstall XAMPP as per the .\xampp\readme_en.txt file and do a fresh install - don't overwrite the original installed xampp directory but delete or rename it and create a new xampp directory for your fresh install.

If as you say you did not use the installer version then all you need do after stopping all the running XAMPP modules and uninstalling any XAMPP services is either rename the xampp directory or delete it completely.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows