Going online

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Going online

Postby chili5 » 01. January 2008 21:27

I have part of a site done, how do I go online with it?

Thanks,

James :D
chili5

Postby skunkrecords » 02. January 2008 00:35

You get a host such as godaddy and you upload your files via FTP to your new domain.
skunkrecords

Postby KallistaAEnvarou » 02. January 2008 06:30

OR if you don't want ads, you can host your site on a paid server like http://bluehost.com, for example.

Also, you have the option of hosting the site from your computer. All you'd need to do would be to set up a DNS to host to it and keep the server running all the time. See this thread for more information and feel free to ask any questions you might still have. I'm sure Izzy will have lots of fun helping out.
KallistaAEnvarou

Postby action_bastard » 07. January 2008 17:07

What if you don't want a host? can you use your own ip address and set-up a private website? Would I follow this http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/vhosts/examples.html
And name the virtual host and server name as my current ip? Then make a separate entry for localhost so I can still access it from there?

I'm not concerned with Xampp's security issues or not being resolved I have that covered. I just want to use the package with the development work I've already done to go online so that others can connect, collaborate and view.

Thanks in advance,
action_bastard

Postby LooseCannon » 08. January 2008 11:40

@chili5 - Please let us know how you're getting on with this. :)
LooseCannon

Postby LooseCannon » 08. January 2008 11:58

I've double posted in case a moderator wishes to split this and action_bastards posts into a new thread. I bit of a hijack action_bastard and a very angry nick name. ;)
action_bastard wrote:What if you don't want a host? can you use your own ip address and set-up a private website? Would I follow this http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/vhosts/examples.html
And name the virtual host and server name as my current ip? Then make a separate entry for localhost so I can still access it from there?
How much does KallistaAEnvarou's post above help help?
KallistaAEnvarou wrote:...
Also, you have the option of hosting the site from your computer. All you'd need to do would be to set up a DNS to host to it and keep the server running all the time. See this threadfor more information and feel free to ask any questions you might still have. I'm sure Izzy will have lots of fun helping out.
You say you don't want a 'host'. Do you mean 'ISP', because a web site surely needs a host.

If you did mean ISP, then yes, you don't need one. Just hand out your ip address to whoever you'd like to have access to the test site on your PC. Your local Apache server's vhosts setup shall handle your colleagues requests to view some php,,, subject any firewall/routing stuff that might be in the way.

One would brose to "http://you.rip.add.res/..."
LooseCannon

Postby KallistaAEnvarou » 08. January 2008 12:09

I would think he means paid hosting, which, yes, I covered.
KallistaAEnvarou

Postby action_bastard » 08. January 2008 19:39

I don't need a webhost like godaddy or bluehost. I have an IPB designed and set-up with XAMPP on my home box, and I wanted for others to connect to me straight in from my ip address. I was just asking if configuring the vhost as stated in the previously mentioned tutorial was all that I needed to do.

Just enter in my ip for server name and for the example.com entries?
I'm not sure as to what exactly I am looking for. In tech talk terms.

I'm quite ignorant of networking which is why I like XAMPP so much. Less hassle.

I hope this isn't considered hijacking because it deals with the same topic, going online. As for my User ID, I'm just a huge Shin Chan fan.

Thank you all then.
action_bastard

Postby Izzy » 08. January 2008 22:38

@action_bastard - You need to create an IP based vhost configuration.

Create a new thread and I will show you how.

Reason - threads that are multi-page are hard to follow especially for those new users and forum searchers looking for answers who find it difficult and time consuming ploughing through countless posts of little significance.

This thread is already 9 posts long with very little on topic information related to XAMPP for Windows - best keep threads as short and on topic as possible.

@chili5 - you need to provide much more detail of your intentions, like what you have tried already and what you current configurations are - read some of the previous vhost threads to get some ideas - or the replies to your post can only be pure guesswork.

--------------------------------

KallistaAEnvarou wrote:OR if you don't want ads, you can host your site on a paid server like...

If you pay for hosting at GoDaddy then there are no ads just like the paid hosting service you referred to - the difference is the host you mention does not do free hosting, that I am aware of, but if it did then it too would use ads to recoup costs.

--------------------------------

LooseCannon wrote:I've double posted in case a moderator wishes to split this and action_bastards posts into a new thread.

Moderator? - that's a joke, yes? :D

There is no moderation (moderator) in this forum, period - thats why it's hard work for regular support posters trying to cope with all the bad manners, poor forum etiquette, bad language and general forum anarchy.

If you have any issues with a post that you feel is breaking any perceived forum rules then it should be brought to the attention of the forum administrator for a moderated solution or settlement - they all speak English.

Most forum members are very good indeed but it is spoiled by a few who get away with their behavior because of the lack of a good, qualified and conscientious moderator to keep order and discipline, which would also eliminate the need for members to be constantly vigil and for ever reporting offending posts to an already very busy administrator.
Last edited by Izzy on 13. January 2008 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows