Mail to external adress

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mail to external adress

Postby Goofy2k » 19. December 2007 22:12

For registration on my site, new users need to receive a mail message with a password generated by the site.

When a user tries to register, he receives an on-screen message that the mail message can not be sent:

warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 550 Delivery is not allowed to this address. in E:\xampp\htdocs\includes\common.inc on line 1986.

Do I have to setup Apache to enable my site sending messages to external mail recipients ?

When I test the registration procedure using a local mailaccount, it works fine.
Goofy2k

Postby Izzy » 20. December 2007 00:26

Clue - you can try this and see if things change but make sure the address is not an alias but a valid email address, either your ISP account or a valid configured account on your localhost server known to work.

Find these lines in your xampp\apache\bin\php.ini file:
(They may not resemble what I paste below but should be similar).
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = me@myisp.com

Change the sendmail_from line to:
sendmail_from = me@mymailserver.com <-- your own valid email account address here.

And any of the lines above to reflect your own mail server at localhost configuration with respect to ports etc.

For example to test that your script will send email from your form you could try this configuration below first, then if it sends and you receive the mail you at least know your form works.

You can then proceed to reconfigure the php.ini file to use your localhost mail server similar to the first quote above.
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.yourispmail.com <-- your ISP's SMTP address here.
smtp_port = 25 <-- the port your ISP uses for SMTP.

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = me@myisp.com <-- your email address at your ISP here

Save the file and restart Apache to have the changes recognized - always make a backup of ini and conf files before editing.

More details when posting like, what is on the relevant lines in your php file that is referenced in the error messages might be of help and how you are going about what you are trying to do, what you have tried already etc.

===========================================
1. The new DeskTopXampp Launch Control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Build Rich AJAX Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
===========================================
Izzy

Postby Goofy2k » 22. December 2007 18:03

Thanks Izzi,

Users can now register. There are more things to resolve, but I will open a new Subject later.
Goofy2k

Return to XAMPP for Windows