Mercury Mail /32

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mercury Mail /32

Postby Goofy2k » 13. December 2007 23:16

Can any one tell me where to find a step-wise instruction to set up mercury mail.
Goofy2k

Postby Izzy » 14. December 2007 00:36

Apart from the xampp\MercuryMail\mercury.hlp and the pdf_Manual files and a forum search for mercury, there are several step-by-step guides to be found on Google.

BTW - as an alternative to MercuryMail have you checked out the easier to setup hMailServer

And make sure that your ISP has not blocked your use of a mail server at your Internet connection, as most do these days, to prevent their own servers from getting put on Black Lists.

===========================================
1. The new DeskTopXampp Launch Control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Build Rich AJAX Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
Izzy

Postby Goofy2k » 14. December 2007 20:00

Is there an easy way how can I detect that my ISP has blocked mail?

I was think about that, but as I'm relatively new in this, I can not tell the difference between me having the wrong settings or blocking by my ISP
Goofy2k

Postby Izzy » 15. December 2007 02:14

Goofy2k wrote:Is there an easy way how can I detect that my ISP has blocked mail?

I was think about that, but as I'm relatively new in this, I can not tell the difference between me having the wrong settings or blocking by my ISP

1. Change the SMTP port from port 25 to port 26 or some other non-used port like 3535 (the Google SMTP port to override ISP blocks)

2. Ask your ISP which outgoing ports they block, other than for their own connected clients or search Google for port 25 blocked by ISP (put the name of your ISP here - if you are on cable then there are not many ISP's who don't block port 25 plus a few others.).

3. Try configuring sending mail from your server through your ISP's SMTP port 25 like you would normally do from within your email client - there is a Mercury configuration spot for this somewhere - then you will know if you have your server configured correctly - then just change the ports etc back to not use your ISP and check again.

I don't know if the Mercury logs will be of assistance but they are here:
C:\xampp\MercuryMail\LOGS\mercurys.log
Any without a proper extension can be dragged into your text editor to read them - your path may be different.

1. The new DeskTopXampp Launch Control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Build Rich AJAX Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
Izzy

Postby Goofy2k » 15. December 2007 21:20

I get the following message when trying to register a new user on my site:

warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 53 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry. in E:\xampp\htdocs\includes\common.inc on line 1986

That is when I register a user with an external mailadres from a PC in my network, that accesses the site via the internet.

When I give the new user an existing mailrecipient on localhost (newuser@loalhost), the registration goes OK. I also find the registration message in the mailfolder of newuser.

So the site is OK, SMPT is running, but can not send mail to external adresses.
Goofy2k

MERCURY.INI

Postby B06D4N » 17. December 2007 14:00

I think SMTP for Windows XP or Vista doesn’t works, if yes maybe someone public MERCURY.INI for Demo purpose here

At me works the same, only receive POP3 e-mail, send e-mail to external addresses no
B06D4N

Return to XAMPP for Windows