Tomcat Addon

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby Izzy » 31. October 2007 09:16

After installing it I could replicate exactly all your issues (and some).

I started by looking at the *.xml files as they seemed to be the key to how TomCat powers its 'on the fly' page creation - which, because it was not working, failed to create those pages that gave all the 404 Page not found errors.

Hours later and after going down many dead end alleys, I was convinced they had nix to do with it and concentrated on the flow of Apache from startup - I even reinstalled TomCat to see if it was an installation bug.

This lead me to try and create a VirtualHost container which was obviously unsuccessful as there was already a localhost defined.

I then looked more closely at the Apache configuration files which are the 'be all and end all' of the server.

Finally the java configuration file revealed it's seemingly simple secret solution.

So I have it working now and you can try this on your installation to confirm it:

Have your jforum directory in the xampp\tomcat directory only (not in the htdocs directory)

In your xampp\apache\conf\extra\mod_jk.conf file, add the bold additional line as shown:

JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /examples/* ajp13
JkMount /jforum/* ajp13

Save and restart Apache

Clear your browser's cache, take a deep breath, cross your fingers and go to:
http://localhost/jforum/install.jsp

Please let me know if it works now for you.

BTW in my java.conf file that section looks like this (my version of XAMPP is 1.6.3a Apache 2.2.4)

Code: Select all
JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /java/* ajp13
JkMount /jsp-examples/* ajp13
JkMount /servlets-examples/* ajp13
JkMount /jforum/* ajp13

Phew! that was a hard days night :)

Now where was I....

===========================================
1. The new DeskTopXampp launch control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Make Richer Ajax Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
===========================================
Izzy

Postby confused2gether » 31. October 2007 13:50

Izzy wrote:After installing it I could replicate exactly all your issues (and some).

I started by looking at the *.xml files as they seemed to be the key to how TomCat powers its 'on the fly' page creation - which, because it was not working, failed to create those pages that gave all the 404 Page not found errors.

Hours later and after going down many dead end alleys, I was convinced they had nix to do with it and concentrated on the flow of Apache from startup - I even reinstalled TomCat to see if it was an installation bug.

This lead me to try and create a VirtualHost container which was obviously unsuccessful as there was already a localhost defined.

I then looked more closely at the Apache configuration files which are the 'be all and end all' of the server.

Finally the java configuration file revealed it's seemingly simple secret solution.

So I have it working now and you can try this on your installation to confirm it:

Have your jforum directory in the xampp\tomcat directory only (not in the htdocs directory)

In your xampp\apache\conf\extra\mod_jk.conf file, add the bold additional line as shown:

JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /examples/* ajp13
JkMount /jforum/* ajp13

Save and restart Apache

Clear your browser's cache, take a deep breath, cross your fingers and go to:
http://localhost/jforum/install.jsp

Please let me know if it works now for you.

BTW in my java.conf file that section looks like this (my version of XAMPP is 1.6.3a Apache 2.2.4)

Code: Select all
JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /java/* ajp13
JkMount /jsp-examples/* ajp13
JkMount /servlets-examples/* ajp13
JkMount /jforum/* ajp13

Phew! that was a hard days night :)

Now where was I....

Yup that did it for me. The funny thing is that I actually had that line in there yesterday and I thought I had tried that out but what happened was that I went ahead and uninstalled everything and reinstalled thinking that I had already tested that out :P. Thank you so much for the help its up and running and I couldnt be happier!

BTW- you said to put jforum into xampp\tomcat but you should actually put it into xampp\tomcat\webapps which i knew thats probably what you meant ;)

Thanks once again. Now go and rest! lol
confused2gether

Previous

Return to XAMPP for Windows