XAMPP fails, Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP fails, Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr...

Postby Eric Pement » 22. October 2007 06:47

I went from a fully functional installation of XAMPP v1.6.1 just 3 weeks ago to a non-working system now. Use WinXP Home Edition SP2.

The error logs at "c:\Program Files\xampp\apache\logs\error.log" say:
Code: Select all
[Sun Oct 21 22:42:17 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr with error_log
[Sun Oct 21 22:42:17 2007] [crit] (2)No such file or directory: unable to replace stderr with /dev/null

I have tried starting XAMPP just as I always did, via the xampp_start.bat batch file in the "\Program Files\xampp" folder. I cannot even get my browser to recognize http://localhost/ anymore. My "hosts" file at c:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOST is unchanged from last month.

Within the XAMPP Control Panel, when I click on the Start button to begin Apache, it runs for a second and then shuts down, issuing another error message like the one posted above. What do you suggest?
Eric Pement - pemente [at] northpark [dot] edu
Eric Pement

Postby Wiedmann » 22. October 2007 06:57

The error logs at "c:\Program Files\xampp\apache\logs\error.log" say:

These two errors are "normal".

I have tried starting XAMPP ..., via the xampp_start.bat batch file

What happens with "apache_start.bat"?

What's the complete "error.log" (after starting with an empty logfile)?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Eric Pement » 23. October 2007 04:44

Thanks for helping. To answer your questions:

Wiedmann wrote:
I have tried starting XAMPP ..., via the xampp_start.bat batch file

What happens with "apache_start.bat"?

I get this response:
Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden
Bitte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen
Please close this command only for Shutdown
Apache 2 is starting ...

Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden
Apache could not be started
Press any key when ready...

What's the complete "error.log" (after starting with an empty logfile)?

Emptying out "error.log" and starting "apache_start.bat" produces nothing, no changes to the error log. apache_start.bat exits immediately without writing anything to the file. The file has 0 bytes.

Clicking on "\Program Files\xampp\xampp_start.exe" also produces no output. A DOS window opens for a second, issues a message to the screen, and then closes quickly. If I open a 4NT window in the folder and run it from the 4NT command line, I can read this:

[c:\program files\xampp]
[0]> xampp_start.exe
Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Runnings beenden ...
Zum stoppen bitte die xampp_stop benutzen!
Please do not close this window while running ...
Use the xampp_stop for shutdown!

Please wait [Bitte warten] ...

### APACHE + MYSQL IS STARTING NOW ###

However, this does not add anything to the error.log at all. MySQL starts and stays running, and apache shuts down immediately.

Only when I run xampp_control.exe and click on the button that says "START" for Apache, do I get a response. It turns green momentarily, says "RUNNING" and then shuts down. The total of the error log at "c:\Program Files\xampp\apache\logs\error.log" is this (4 lines):

[Mon Oct 22 22:21:48 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr with error_log
[Mon Oct 22 22:21:48 2007] [crit] (2)No such file or directory: unable to replace stderr with /dev/null
[Mon Oct 22 22:26:30 2007] [crit] (22)Invalid argument: unable to replace stderr with error_log
[Mon Oct 22 22:26:30 2007] [crit] (2)No such file or directory: unable to replace stderr with /dev/null

What would be the next step in diagnosis?

If it's any help, I have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0i running at all times, but McAfee was running in September too and I had no problem.

What would help diagnose this? Would AMPstart be of any help?
Eric Pement

Postby Wiedmann » 23. October 2007 05:42

I get this response:
Apache 2 is starting ...

no changes to the error log. apache_start.bat exits immediately without writing anything to the file. The file has 0 bytes.

There is something wrong with an ErrorLog or CustomLog directive in an Apache config file.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Eric Pement » 31. October 2007 05:16

Wiedmann wrote:
I get this response:
Apache 2 is starting ...

no changes to the error log. apache_start.bat exits immediately without writing anything to the file. The file has 0 bytes.

There is something wrong with an ErrorLog or CustomLog directive in an Apache config file.

Thank you very much for this information! That was exactly what was wrong.

In my file "c:\Program Files\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf" I accidentally omitted a quotation mark from the name of the log file, and the filename was seen as two arguments, the first part stopping after "c:\Program" and the rest begining at "Files\..." etc.

I also had a second problem. I tried moving some files around to a more convenient arrangement, and when I did so, "c:\Program Files\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf" pointed to \path\logs\access.log file, where the "logs" folder did not exist. I created the logs folder, created a new access.log file, and now the problem is solved. Thank you so much!
Eric Pement

Return to XAMPP for Windows