get online after xampp install

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

get online after xampp install

Postby lissak » 30. July 2007 20:18

I installed xampp. started and stopped apache and mysql. installed wordpress. verified that localhost came up. went to read the wordpress documentation and my internet explorer is 'working offline'.

I stopped and restarted my computer - still offline

I looked at settings | control panel | internet options | connection and it showed MSN dialup. I have direct connect with an ethernet hub and the other computers on the hub are still connected to the IP. I removed the MSN, stopped and restarted -- still offline.

Obviously I am not a big communications wizard. Please tell me how to use a computer for server testing offline and then with the server stopped to connect to the internet and the reverse. If no one can explain this I will just have to uninstall everything and hope the settings are restored, wherever they are.

Thanks for any help you can give.
lissak

Postby jrav » 30. July 2007 20:51

Did you install Wordpress in the htdocs directory? If yes, then all you have to do is point your browser to http://localhost/ and your blog should appear.

Make sure you have both php and mySql turned on (in the xampp control panel).
jrav

localhost is fine

Postby lissak » 31. July 2007 01:26

I want to also use my PC on the internet when the server is not running.

I need to know how to connect - go 'online' to my IP when the server is not running.

Then when I want to do some testing to start the server in 'offline' mode.
lissak

eventually I got asked if I wanted to connect and I did

Postby lissak » 31. July 2007 21:27

SOOOO

Must you be connected to use the server? Can you use the server offline? Is there a vulnerability to being connected when your server is running?

Obviously I misunderstood the way this is supposed to work. Thanks to anyone who can explain it to me.
lissak

Re: eventually I got asked if I wanted to connect and I did

Postby jrav » 31. July 2007 22:50

I don't understand the question. :oops:

With apache and mySql turned on, you can browse the internet, get the mail from your ISP, and use your own server (localhost).

With apache and mySql turned off you can do all of the above except you cannot use your own server (localhost).

With apache and mySql turned on, your computer cannot be access by the outside world unless you have opened the ports on your router or firewall.

Is this want you wanted to know?
jrav

Great

Postby lissak » 03. August 2007 04:09

I think you have explained it. When I installed somewhere along the way I selected 'offline' and panicked. I really appreciate your clear explanation.
lissak

Return to XAMPP for Windows