change mysql port in 1.6.2?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

change mysql port in 1.6.2?

Postby vegtabill » 11. July 2007 17:28

Greetings,

I am writing on behalf of myself and a local community college's IT dept. We have been using XAMPP for a few years now for teaching web dev and database courses. Because of the school's installed software, XAMPP's MySQL must not run on port 3306. In addition, it must not run as a service. In the past we were able to change this without much difficulty, but with this version things seem to be a little different.

Does anyone have a solution for this? We would surely appreciate any help we can get!

Thanks in advance!
vegtabill

Alternative Porting

Postby ridgewood » 13. July 2007 17:40

The new DTX-Control is available at http://zedfiles.com/DTX/ (see New Xampp Launch Control post) and it has a set of instructions in the read me for alternative porting. I would install the latest version of XAMPP. Currently only mysqld.exe is supported. Please send feedback if you choose to use it.
ridgewood

Postby ldivinag » 19. July 2007 06:24

if running windows, you can manually remove mysql as a service from the SERVICE console.

then run mysqld as a standard windows apps.

changing the port is as simple as opening up MY.INI.

the section under PORT, just change it and restart or run mysqld...
leo d.
ldivinag

Postby vegtabill » 12. August 2007 01:17

Hello,

Thanks for the tips. We did get the DTX control panel, and it works quite well. XAMPP 1.6.2 for Windows version did not include a MY.INI (at least none that I could find), but it did include a MY.CNF so I was able to change it there. I actually like the fact that DTX provides one .ini file that configs several apps. I also like the control panel. We're using this for educational purposes, so the XAMPP control really provided more options than we needed (installing as services in particular). DTX just has buttons that start and stop HTTPD and MySQL, which is all we need the students to be able to do... perfect!

Thanks again for the help!

veg
vegtabill

Postby lyntuan » 12. August 2007 02:40

Try to use AMPstart. Just type port=port_number in AMPstart.ini
Last edited by lyntuan on 26. December 2008 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
AMPstart :: Launch a Portable Web Server
http://ampstart.com
----------------------------------------------------------
Please read Disclaimer section carefully before downloading
lyntuan

Glad it worked out...

Postby ridgewood » 16. August 2007 03:37

... I think that having the students do the 'alternative porting' by configuring the files is a good learning experience. It should give them a bit more understanding as to how it all works together.

As for DTX, Chris at Nat32 deserves a lot of the credit for pulling it all together and making it work!
ridgewood

Return to XAMPP for Windows