Windows Vista

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Windows Vista

Postby tryin_to_learn » 13. June 2007 14:46

I'm thinking of buying a new computer and frankly, the only thing that's stopping me is that I'm afraid I'll have trouble installing XAMPP with Vista. Have the problems pretty much been ironed out at this point? Any specific things I need to know?
tryin_to_learn

Vista Woes

Postby DaveX360 » 13. June 2007 19:54

I have Windows Vista Home Premium edition (IIS is de-activated). I have tried installing to c:\Programs\xampp\ and to just c:\xampp - in each instance I get the following error:

(OS 10013) An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down.

Unable to open logs.

MySQL and FileZilla both work fine, it is just Apache.

Any ideas? Thanks.
DaveX360

Postby Codesmith » 13. June 2007 21:00

Vista 32 bit Ultimate. Logged in as admin. UAC turned off.
---

XAMPP 1.5.4 installed no problems/issues.

XAMP 1.6.2 zip version no problems/issues.

At first the entire xampp security settings page wouldn't completely load, but in a few minutes I had that fixed. I think it was changing the permissions on the XAMPP folder that did the trick.

---
I think XAMPP runs significantly slower on Vista vs XP Pro on the same hardware.

Nothing you would notice on a single user development server.

If you want to run a busy production server on windows, apache isn't your best option anyway.

---
On an unrelated note.

I use Vista because I also do PC repair and have to keep current, but be aware that for the near future driver and software compatibility issues will be a problem.

Main issues for me are SATA enclosures no longer hot swappable and changes to the way sound is handled rendering many of the advanced features of my X-Fi sound card unavailable.

Still I have a high tolerance for minor annoyances and even though at any time I can boot to my old XP installation, I never bother.

If you have a lower tolerance for annoyances than me you might want to hold off on Vista until SP1 is released.

By then all the current software and hardware will have been created with Vista in mind.

---
Codesmith

More vista woes

Postby DaveX360 » 14. June 2007 19:01

Finallty got xampp working (Apache/MySQL/FileZilla) all running, no porblems. Folder permissions have been correctly set and UAC disabled.

http://localhost

In firefox: server timed out, typed in about:config in address bar, filtered selection to IPV and enabled to true. Same problem.

Tried localhost in IE7, again, server times out. I have also tried using the local computer name, and again, it times out. XP and XP Pro are so much easier to get up and running with xampp.

Any ideas?
DaveX360

Postby Codesmith » 14. June 2007 21:29

Are you logged in as an administrator?

Are you sure MySQL and Apache are actually running?
Are you running them as services?

Check the apache error logs.
Check if port 80 is already in use.
Could a firewall be blocking the connection?

If you type in a non existent directory will you get the proper error page? (http://127.0.0.1/nothere/)

I suppose you could also uninstall and try to install the zip file version.

---

I have used both 1.5.4 installer, and 1.6.2 zip and both worked fine.

The only thing special I did was add "everyone" permissions to the folder of the 1.6.2 zip version. (And obviously I ran the batch file to correct all the paths).

Oh and I had to change Skype settings so that it would stop using port 80.
Codesmith

Postby mech7 » 15. June 2007 20:33

DOnt install in program files and copy MSVCP71.DLL in xampp dir and it will work fine :)
mech7

Postby lyntuan » 16. June 2007 05:10

Try AMPstart to launch XAMMP
I tested in Vista Home Premiun and got no problem.

AMPstart is more than a launcher of XAMPP

http://ampstart.com
Last edited by lyntuan on 26. December 2008 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
lyntuan

Postby Codesmith » 16. June 2007 07:54

How does AMPstart work, especially from a DVD?

Does it create temp files/folders on a local HD?
Codesmith

Postby Xodus » 17. June 2007 06:42

Check and see if IIS is running. I got that same error, disabled it, and then it worked.
Xodus

Postby lyntuan » 17. June 2007 08:00

Xodus wrote:Check and see if IIS is running. I got that same error, disabled it, and then it worked.

Another way, let apache work on another port, i.e. 8080
Just set port in AMPstart.ini
lyntuan

Postby Xodus » 17. June 2007 21:01

lyntuan wrote:
Xodus wrote:Check and see if IIS is running. I got that same error, disabled it, and then it worked.

Another way, let apache work on another port, i.e. 8080
Just set port in AMPstart.ini

Yeah, but then it's not as easy to dev though. Personally, I like it better when I can just do http://localhost/ and it comes up instead of localhost:8080/

Every one to their own :)
Xodus

Working XAMPP installation on Windows Vista

Postby Wernight » 18. June 2007 14:42

:arrow: XAMPP installation (compatible with Windows Vista)
  1. Unpack XAMPP, and make sure you copy the folder to Program Files (or any folder). If you don't copy on Vista you'll have some security problems.
  2. Run (with normal priviledge) "setup_xampp.bat".
  3. (optional) Customize the configuration files are you like.
  4. (test) Run apache and mysql.
    Run "apache_start.bat" in XAMPP directory; Any error will be reported.
    Note that on Vista it won't find "msvcp71.dll". Later if you install it as a service (step 4) this problem will disappear. If not, copy that file to XAMPP's folder.
  5. (optional) To run as a service:
    1. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator.
      Note: On Vista you cannot simply click on the BAT and "Run as Admin", it will simply not work because of the directories.
    2. Install Apache service
      Code: Select all
      >cd %PROGRAMFILES%\XAMPP\apache
      >apache_installservice.bat

3. Install MySQL service
      Code: Select all
      >cd %PROGRAMFILES%\XAMPP\mysql
      >mysql_installservice.bat

4. Start the service by using mmc.exe or reboot the PC.

:?: Having problems?
If one apache doesn't start, run apache_start.bat (possibly as administrator),
then read the log. Errors are usually:
1) Wrong path in the config files.
2) Skype or another application is using the port 80.
3) The access rights are wrong.

To edit the "hosts" file, you need to run your text editor as administrator.

If you have any problem, contact me.
Wernight

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Postby Wernight » 18. June 2007 17:09

I should add that you must not edit any configuration file without using an admin level text editor.

If you just edit your log files or config files and write them, they'll go to your VirtualStore (Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore). If this happens, copy them back to where you install XAMPP.

If you don't do that, Apache (runned as a Service, so Admin level) will use other files than those you've just edited. Another effect for log files, is that you'll see your log file (may be even an empty log file), instead of apache's log files.

UAC isn't evil, it's really great but you've to learn living with it. :twisted:
Wernight

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Postby lyntuan » 04. July 2007 13:23

Try to do these, you will start webserver and open your home page easily:

1. Extract XAMPP to any folder, e.g. D:\www
2. Copy AMPstart.exe and AMPstart.ini to D:\www
3. Right click on AMPstart and run as administrator

lyntuan

Postby con » 24. July 2007 11:45

lyntuan wrote:Try to do these, you will start webserver and open your home page easily:

1. Extract XAMPP to any folder, e.g. D:\www
2. Copy AMPstart.exe and AMPstart.ini to D:\www
3. Right click on AMPstart and run as administrator

This is a great thread:)

I would like to ask Wernight a question, if I may. I also like the Charlie Munger quote at the bottom. I have copied the MSVCP71.dll file into the C:\xamp and its error has disappeared. However, MySQL is now stopping slowly and there is still no http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1 What is the 1st thing that I have got to do, to fix this? Please help. Please email / post here. Thank you again in advance. Sincerely, Con.

I would like to ask lyntuan a question about Step 3 of AMPstart: run as administrator. I am being asked to give a password. I had never set a password. have tried (no) password and 2 other passwords that I have used for Apache Friends. All have not helped. I am using an internet cafe computer. Any suggestions? Please help anybody. Please email / post here. Sincerely, Con.
con

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows