How to SMTP from locally hosted web apps

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to SMTP from locally hosted web apps

Postby TotalBalance » 14. June 2007 00:25

Although I've successfully setup mercury to work with local users setup on Thunderbird, I've not figure out how to setup the SMTP server to send emails from my localhost Wordpress site. One of the challenges is WP does not allow you to assign an email address without a *.com, *.org, etc.

Is there a "how to" available to setup XAMPP with mercury as a mail server that will send email from locally hosted applications (i.e. wordpress, mediawiki, etc). For Wordpress, this would mean setting up your localhost as something like localhost.xxx

Thx. in advance
Last edited by TotalBalance on 20. June 2007 03:20, edited 2 times in total.
TotalBalance

How to do with Google Apps

Postby TotalBalance » 14. June 2007 02:48

With help from others, found way to make my preferred method work. See
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=24998 for more info.
TotalBalance

Postby the-geek » 20. June 2007 02:22

i saw that solved page.. but i am not so clear yet. i use postie in my wordpress and u know it wont let me set the mail account as user@localhost how did u manage that part in wordpress. i'd be very happy if u could waste a little more time and help me out in this situation. Thanks
the-geek

Postby TotalBalance » 20. June 2007 03:16

Time never wasted helping others.

Regrettably, WP doesn't like localhost without the domain namespace (i.e. localhost.com, .org, .us, etc). So, unless there is a way to setup XAMPP to alias localhost as localhost.com (perhaps there is, I just don't know how), to get mail functionality you need to use an external mail host provider (in my case, I outlined how to with Google Apps - the method should work with most any mail host provider).

Does that answer your question?
TotalBalance

wow! u're so first! okay i got my answer. its not possible t

Postby the-geek » 20. June 2007 04:13

TotalBalance wrote:Time never wasted helping others.

Regrettably, WP doesn't like localhost without the domain namespace (i.e. localhost.com, .org, .us, etc). So, unless there is a way to setup XAMPP to alias localhost as localhost.com (perhaps there is, I just don't know how), to get mail functionality you need to use an external mail host provider (in my case, I outlined how to with Google Apps - the method should work with most any mail host provider).

Does that answer your question?
the-geek

Postby the-geek » 20. June 2007 04:17

wow! u're so first! okay i got my answer. its not possible to configure postie because localhost dont have that name space. so i need to tweak with postie to accept localhost. but if u get a way with domain name space, pls let me know. i liked ur words.. :-)
the-geek

Return to XAMPP for Windows