I can't add Email accounts to the Mercury Mail Server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

I can't add Email accounts to the Mercury Mail Server

Postby mtkatgirl » 03. June 2007 01:42

I have installed XAMPP on my computer in order to test out ZenCart and am following instructions in the book "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart" byGoh Koon Hoek.

One of the items right in the first part of the book before even getting to the Zen Cart stuff is the installation of XAMPP. In creating test email accounts I've opened the XAMPP control panel, Mercury Mail is running. I've clicked on the Admin button and arranged the windows by tiling them. Then I went to Configuration and Manage local uses. I click on the Add button. I fill in the Username, Personal Name, Mal Password, and clicked on OK. I get a boink sound and nothing happens.

So what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do? Do I need to turn off my popup blocker control?

I'm not a computer guru so please keep your answer straight forward and clear for a layperson. I do thank you in advance.
Kathy
mtkatgirl

Postby Arthur » 05. June 2007 19:33

Go to the book's Support Site. In the Errata section, the author says you shouldn't install XAMPP into a directory with spaces in the path.
Arthur

Help--I still cannot add e-mail addresses

Postby mtkatgirl » 06. June 2007 04:57

Arthur,

I went and uninstalled XAMPP and reinstalled it making sure that I didn't have any spaces, underlines or periods. But I still cannot add new e-mail addresses.

Because I'm doing this on my laptop, I have installed this on a portable hard drive that is linked via a USB port. Could that be part of my problem? When I check the system for sending e-mail to the postmaster, everything checks out okay.

This is getting exasperating as I want to try out Zen Cart so that I can move a website with numerous products into a site with a good shopping cart. And this seemed like a great way to try it out, but I keep running into these bugs. Grrrrrrrrrr!

OK please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Or if there is another mail server system I can use with XAMPP while I am trying out Zen Cart.
Kathy
mtkatgirl

Postby mtkatgirl » 06. June 2007 07:31

Geesh. I can't believe the solution was so simple in the end. I kept trying to add "@example.com" after the username. I went hunting for the file that contained the information and when I found it I realized that I didn't need anything from "@" on. Bingo. The addresses added as easy as you please. It would have been nice if the book had included that little detail.

But changing the directories may make a difference down the road when I get farther along, so thanks for that info.

Yep, I'm a newbie when it comes to this program for sure.
Kathy
mtkatgirl

Postby Arthur » 06. June 2007 07:52

Glad your problems were sorted out :)

The problem you mentioned about "@example.com" was also mentioned in the Errata page or Gotcha page at the Book Support Site. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Remember to manually update your book with details posted there coz you don't want to face the same problems again. Use the site to contact the author if you spot any errors.
Arthur

Return to XAMPP for Windows