Has anyone got (fake) sendmail to work with a Gmail account?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Has anyone got (fake) sendmail to work with a Gmail account?

Postby Codesmith » 01. June 2007 19:15

I have been using (fake) sendmail to forward outgoing messages to my ISP's smtp server.

Now they are in the process of moving to new servers with SSL encryption.

So soon I won't be able to send email from my development server.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to configure sendmail to work with any of the free email accounts, like gmail?

Or is there a way to get sendmail to connect to a SSL smtp server?

Baring that is there a SIMPLE way to setup a local email server to forward email to my smtp server or act as a proxy.

By simple I mean something that will take under 5 hours to implement by someone who hasn't set it up before.

If all else fails I guess I can examine sendmail's debug and error logs to see what would have been sent if I was able to connect to a smtp server.
Codesmith

Postby Wiedmann » 02. June 2007 02:59

I was wondering if anyone has managed to configure sendmail to work with any of the free email accounts, like gmail?

Sure, there is (technical) no difference between the smtp server from a free email account or the ISP's smtp server.

But you must have a free email account, witch have a normal smtp server (without ssl). (I know, in US this is hard to find. In Germany/Europe we have several free email accounts with smtp...)

(For Yahoo a tool like YahooPOPs can help.)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Codesmith » 02. June 2007 18:19

What I really need is a version of fake sendmail that can use SSL encryption. :(
Codesmith

Return to XAMPP for Windows