How i allow other people connect MySQL Database?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby FunnyMaker » 23. April 2007 11:18

I make online game and i need that people could connect to database! :D
FunnyMaker

Postby maxnorris » 23. April 2007 15:57

Well, if they're on the same network, you just need to edit the permissions. For example, you can have a username at localhost, then you can add the same username from a different host name. (You can allow any host too)

If you're doing this over the internet, you'll need to allow the SQL connection through your firewall. Ummm errrr port 3309 if I recall? I'd Google that to be sure, haven't had coffee yet.

Just note that doing either of those is really opening you up to security holes, especially allowing internet access to your database server.

Edit: Double checked, I was close, 3306. Still a bad idea though. If you're making an online game, that should be entirely handled by the server. There's no reason a game client should ever access the database directly.
maxnorris

Postby FunnyMaker » 28. April 2007 20:12

maxnorris wrote:Well, if they're on the same network, you just need to edit the permissions. For example, you can have a username at localhost, then you can add the same username from a different host name. (You can allow any host too)

If you're doing this over the internet, you'll need to allow the SQL connection through your firewall. Ummm errrr port 3309 if I recall? I'd Google that to be sure, haven't had coffee yet.

Just note that doing either of those is really opening you up to security holes, especially allowing internet access to your database server.

Edit: Double checked, I was close, 3306. Still a bad idea though. If you're making an online game, that should be entirely handled by the server. There's no reason a game client should ever access the database directly.

If a bad idea then i will use http://www.freesql.org/... :o
FunnyMaker

Postby ldivinag » 29. April 2007 23:52

can you describe HOW THE user will be using the db?

if through the game, then let your own software handle the connections.

that way, they dont have a direct way of manipulating the data, which can open up tons of security issues.
leo d.
ldivinag

Postby FunnyMaker » 23. May 2007 20:24

ldivinag wrote:can you describe HOW THE user will be using the db?

if through the game, then let your own software handle the connections.

that way, they dont have a direct way of manipulating the data, which can open up tons of security issues.

How can i?
It says MyIP is not allowed to connect. :(
FunnyMaker

Postby Makuro » 23. May 2007 23:05

What did you configure for allowed host for the username?

when you create a new user, you got the option to enter a host from which the user is allowed to connect.

for this you got several options.

1st localhost
means the user is only allowed to connect from the localhost e.g. webinterfaces, bash, etc
2nd 192.168.1.1
means the user is only allowed to connect from this one IP address and not from any else
3rd %
means the user can access from anywhere
4th domain.dyndns.org
means the user can access from the domain and its ip

now the question, what did you configure if you created the user ? :)
jedes Kind braucht Großeltern!
Es sind die einzigen Personen die bezeugen können , das die eigenen Eltern nicht besser waren.
Makuro

Postby FunnyMaker » 24. May 2007 11:26

What happens if i forgot my username and password? How i can remind it? Does there any file/folder?
Because i'm not remember i change the password/username.
FunnyMaker

Postby FunnyMaker » 25. May 2007 23:12

Makuro wrote:What did you configure for allowed host for the username?

when you create a new user, you got the option to enter a host from which the user is allowed to connect.

for this you got several options.

1st localhost
means the user is only allowed to connect from the localhost e.g. webinterfaces, bash, etc
2nd 192.168.1.1
means the user is only allowed to connect from this one IP address and not from any else
3rd %
means the user can access from anywhere
4th domain.dyndns.org
means the user can access from the domain and its ip

now the question, what did you configure if you created the user ? :)

I choose %. :)
But i still can't connect. :( What problem is now?
FunnyMaker

Return to XAMPP for Windows