Samba question

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Samba question

Postby maxnorris » 21. April 2007 07:13

I'm fairly new to Linux, but I managed to get XAMPP running pretty well with little fuss under Ubuntu Server 6.10.

Everything works as it should, but looking for a little advice on sharing the htdocs folder with Windows. (For editing PHP files and so on)

I made a Samba share, and I'm able to view it from my XP box. What's getting me though is writing.

All of the files are owned by "nobody", which I need so PHP files can edit themselves. (Example, SMF forum package installs)

When I create a file, it's given my user account as an owner. If I try to edit an existing file, I'm denied saving because I don't own it.

Anyone have a good solution for this? I'm 99% sure I'm just missing sonething obvious but...

Thanks
maxnorris

Re: Samba question

Postby ManUnix » 21. April 2007 14:02

Hi maxnorris,

maxnorris wrote:Anyone have a good solution for this? I'm 99% sure I'm just missing sonething obvious but...

you can add following line to your share configuration:
Code: Select all
force user = nobody

then every created file will be owned by "nobody"

Open "/etc/samba/smb.conf" with your editor, find your share definition ("[SHARE]") and attach the line from above to this share.
Then save it, restart Samba and it should work.

cu,
Manu
ManUnix

Postby maxnorris » 21. April 2007 15:53

Excellent, that did the trick :) (I know Apache inside and out, but in a Windows environment.. making this up as I go)

Appreciate it.
maxnorris

Return to XAMPP for Linux