I am totally new to Xampp and MySQL, PHP, etc. I in contact with it because I am interested in installing a web application (recipeShelf - http://www.deliciousdays.com/recipeshelf/) which is designed for managing recipes. One can download a folder containing the app. I found Xampp for using this web application on a local server and I managed to install Xampp and start creating a MySQL database. But now I am stuck following the rest of the manual. Maybe someone can help me a bit because I didn't find any help via google. I know it's complicated to have no programming knowledge at all but maybe some is willing to help me to set the app up.
(I set up new security configurations since it was recommended for normal use, just in case this could be of any importance.)
The manual for installing the app can be found here http://www.deliciousdays.com/download/recipeShelf-Quick-Reference-v1.3.pdf
The interesting part is the following:
Begin your installation by
• Downloading the latest release of recipeShelf
• Unzip the downloaded file to a folder on your hard drive
• Create a database for recipeShelf on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it
o If the above step is too cryptic, please get in touch with your web developer or system administrator, or web hosting company
• Open recipeShelf/db-config-sample.php in your favorite text editor and fill in your database details, then save as db-config.php
• Place all the recipeShelf files in the desired location on your web server
• Run the recipeShelf installation script:
[ http://mysite.com/myfolder/recipeshelf ]/index.php
Note: The above part in brackets [...] is dependent on your domain and installation path setup!
recipeShelf will now verify your DB connection (per your configuration above) and will guide you through the one- click installation.
I followed the instructions up to the point where one should run the installation script. I don't know what to do there. I have the "recipeShelf" folder containing all files but I don't know where to copy it. Maybe it can stay in my documents-folder. I didn't find a folder from the MySQL-Database which I created. I also tried to run the index.php in my browser but that didn't work as well.
Maybe someone could help me...