Why are large enterprises not leveraging Apache?

Alles, was den Apache betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

Why are large enterprises not leveraging Apache?

Postby Bogdan-Ciocoiu » 30. October 2020 20:47

Hello everyone,

We all know the benefits of Apache, PHP (LAMP stack) and open source technology more broadly. Some of us may also see the niche of commercial services called "professional services" or "management consulting". Usually, management consultants rely on Microsoft technology and avoid Apache (for hosting web purposes) in particular. I don't, but the consensus is that large consultancies would instead use MS tech.

Do you know any successful cases of professional services firms who leverage Apache or more broadly open source technologies for a web site hosting? Let us not focus on startups; let us target organisations with at least 50 employees.

Thank you,
Bogdan Ciocoiu
Bogdan-Ciocoiu

XAMPP version: 7
Operating System: 20

Re: Why are large enterprises not leveraging Apache?

Postby Nobbie » 30. October 2020 22:55

Why do you think so?

Due to statista.de, the german government statistics, only 4.08% of all active webservers worldwide are driven by Microsoft webserver.

9.7% are driven by Google, 19.51% by Nginx and finally 26.46% by Apache, at leaast more than 6 times higher than Microsoft.

Actually its a matter of fact that by far most webservers are running linux and not windows. So i am quite baffled about your question, never heard that before.
Nobbie

Postby Bogdan-Ciocoiu » 31. October 2020 09:35

Hello Nobbie,

Excellent point and while I was not aware of this resource (the German stats), I would have assumed that the number of physical Linux servers is more significant than of MS.

But, I wonder to what extent the distribution is similar when it comes to the number of organisations leveraging Linux vs Microsoft. I was hinting at the emerging virtualisation technology, multi-tenancy scenarios. I guess it is not easy to find out, mainly since some organisations operate in non-technical environments such as management, professional services, finance, events, and others.
Best wishes,
Bogdan Ciocoiu
www.b2bconsult.co.uk
Bogdan-Ciocoiu

XAMPP version: 7
Operating System: 20

Postby Nobbie » 31. October 2020 10:32

I am unsure, but i think you confuse office (incl. finance etc.) software vs. webservers. Clearly Microsoft leads for office products, as well internal Networks, infrastructure of big companies. But as far as i understood, you primarly asked for webservers and webservers clearly are mostly based on linux software and servers. As well Apache as also Nginx. Microsoft ranges far beyond 10%.
Nobbie

Return to Apache