Apache does not restart on it's own?

Alles, was den Apache betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

Apache does not restart on it's own?

Postby greenace92 » 20. November 2014 13:36

Hello,

I am using a laptop for a server which sometimes freezes and I have to restart it.

Sometimes Apache or "The Server" starts on its own. Sometimes it doesn't. And I have a dumb look on my face like "Oh wow... my website has been down and I don't know for how long."

Can I have some sort of notification that informs me that the server has gone down? Like a text or an email.

Also I am interested in remote stop/start from browser via mobile device.

I'll translate to German below

Ich benutze einen Laptop für einen Server , der manchmal friert , und ich muss ihn neu starten.

Manchmal Apache oder " Der Server" startet auf eigene. Manchmal tut es nicht. Und ich habe einen dummen Blick auf meinem Gesicht wie " Oh wow ... hat meine Website unten gewesen und ich weiß nicht , wie lange kennen. "

Kann ich haben eine Art von Benachrichtigung , die mich informiert , dass der Server untergegangen ist ? Wie ein Text oder eine E-Mail .

Auch ich interessiere mich für Remote Start / Stopp von Browser über mobiles Gerät.
greenace92

Operating System: Linux Mint 17 Qiana 64 bit

Re: Apache does not restart on it's own?

Postby Nobbie » 20. November 2014 14:55

greenace92 wrote:Sometimes Apache or "The Server" starts on its own. Sometimes it doesn't. And I have a dumb look on my face like "Oh wow... my website has been down and I don't know for how long."

Thats what i told you:

Nobbie wrote:For many more reasons, i cannot recommend to run your own server at home. You definately should go for an hosted webspace (what is not very expensive) and assign your Godaddy Domain Name to that webspace. This is by far the easiest solution for running your own webspace. Running a server at home requires a lot of knowlegde (what you dont have), it requires a lot of technical support, it requires 24/7 maintenance (what are you planning for you vacation, what will you do, if your Server is going down for any reason), it requires a very fast internet connection (what usually is not covered for upload speed, which results in download speed for your clients), and and and and and.

greenace92 wrote:Can I have some sort of notification that informs me that the server has gone down? Like a text or an email.

No. There is neither any trigger, nor any mailserver.

greenace92 wrote:Also I am interested in remote stop/start from browser via mobile device.

Try to install a Remote Desktop Server like "Splashtop" or similar. But this may also crash and if your PC (Laptop) hangs, nothing helps anymore. Same if the router hangs. You cannot provide a 24/7 maintenance remotely.
Nobbie

Postby greenace92 » 20. November 2014 20:09

It wouldn't be hard to setup a server down notifier right?

Have like a script that every 5 mins or whatever checks to see if the sight is down.

For instance there is a website like this :

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Which tests if a website is up or down, not sure how they determine if a website is up, send a packet and receive it back or ping or something?

Anyway, the script continuously runs and if it fails then an email is sent out to you.

If necessary and probably preferred, you do this with a server farm by someone like GoDaddy so you aren't worried about this service going down.

Just some ideas.

I know I lack knowledge but this isn't my area of expertise, more like a hobby / business venture I picked up.

I studied physics and engineering but then transferred to computer science but that was more hardware / language based

This stuff is like gold to me, you don't need a factory to produce stuff, this stuff is data, +'s and -'s

When I read things like "Snapchat is worth 10 billion dollars" it makes me laugh at how insignificant my life seems where I am concerned about my 41K debt from school.

So I am going to learn. I have the internet to search for knowledge and learn from as I please.

Thanks for your help.
greenace92

Postby Nobbie » 20. November 2014 23:34

greenace92 wrote:I studied physics and engineering but then transferred to computer science but that was more hardware / language based

Similar to me, i studied mathematics and physics, but transferred to computer programming ... but this already happened in the middle of the 1980's (so i probably could be your dad).

greenace92 wrote:When I read things like "Snapchat is worth 10 billion dollars" it makes me laugh at how insignificant my life seems where I am concerned about my 41K debt from school.

Or even think about the (definitaly stupid!) "takeover" from Facebook to "WhatsApp". They payed 19(!) billion Dollars for this peace of sh**t (sorry, but i dont like WhatsApp). WhatsApp is a small, small, small, small little rat-shop with 50(!) (in words: fifty) employees, and they payed 19 billion Dollars??? That means 400 Million Dollars per employee!! How weird is that????
Nobbie

Postby greenace92 » 21. November 2014 08:46

"I could probably be your dad" hahaha

I think it is the popularity that they have purchased

Case in point, I had this brilliant idea, well in my opinion brilliant idea called "Soqui" it's an employee ranking system / search engine

It's all explained in my PDF attached but it's worthless because I have to actually first set it up, which isn't hard, what's hard is getting companies to make this a standard in their human resources section... why would they want to to do it? Who would want to get blacklisted? Will I get blacklisted because I suddenly refuse to wash plates?

Delusional-y speaking, I would have sold this thing for $50,000.00 just to get even with my debts even if it is worth millions / billions and surpasses Linked In and other websites like that.

Once something is established and makes money, it is easy to "sell it" by transferring it or even just ownership and then it keeps working making more money for the new owner. Well at least that is my perception.

http://greenace92.ddns.net/images/Soqui-Revised.pdf

hmm... odd the images are downloadable when using url/images but not the pdf

OMG I figured it out yay, Chmod 777
greenace92

Return to Apache