setgid bit always unset when changing file permissions

Alles, was den Apache betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

setgid bit always unset when changing file permissions

Postby unleash » 26. January 2012 20:28

good evening dear Apachefriends

well i am confronted with one very annoying bug!

Code: Select all
on openSuse Linux server
My Setup: OpenSuse 11.4 on the local machine!
Linux- Server

FileZilla Client
----------------
Version:          3.3.4.1
Build information:
  Compiled for:   i686-pc-linux-gnu
  Compiled on:    i686-pc-linux-gnu
  Build date:     2011-02-23
  Compiled with:  gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch revision 167585]
  Compiler flags: -fomit-frame-pointer -fmessage-length=0 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
- funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -fstack-protector -Wall -g -fexceptions

Linked against:
  wxWidgets:      2.8.11
  GnuTLS:         2.8.6

Operating system:
  Name:           Linux 2.6.37.6-0.7-default i686
  Version:        2.6

Well folks i go crazy - sure thing:

I run a linux-root-server that is administered by a friend of mine. i controll the SFTP session - with filezilla (see all i mentione above) in order to do installations and maintenance of some drupal-installations (and besides them some joomla-sites) Note: in the future i want to install Drush - in order to get rid all that annoying bugs.

I am using directories with setgid bit set. I want to change the permissions of newly created directories to give write permission to the group (by default they have not). For this I right-click on the directory and change the permissions from the Properties dialog. When I change the permissions of a directory that way, the setgid bit gets removed. In fact, there is no way to set the setgid bit, it just always gets turned off, whatever operation one does on permissions.I heard that a buddy found a workaround by creating a custom command that executes chmod -R g+w "!" and applies on directories. This works fine. he said. Well what should i do!?

Well i go almost crazy and throw the computer out of the window (well notabene - of the 14 th floor) this is sure thing no good idea but i need to have a solution. what should i do here!?!

Note: with FileZilla you cannot (!!!!!) set the SETGID-Bit again - no way here - no chance. But with winscp (see below the link ). And you can imagine with Drush you can do it too! What sould i do - can you advice something for me! btw: see winscp with its ability to control the SETGID bit more than the FileZilla can do!! Well what can cause the issue - where is it rooted. Why do i loose the SETGID-Bit every time!

It is possible that our SFTP server does not support the setgit bit and silently ignores the request to set it.

What is the issue - can it be the SFTP.-SERVER!?

Do you need more information more input should i do more investigations on the troubles and the environment. just let me know - i do everything to get the troubles rid!

look forward to hear from you

Greetings
unleash
unleash

Operating System: OpenSuse Linux 12.1

Return to Apache