Reverse proxy authentication

Alles, was den Apache betrifft, kann hier besprochen werden.

Reverse proxy authentication

Postby mute » 16. December 2010 16:06

Hello,

I hope you can help me with this.... Here is what I am trying to do: I am running the application Etherpad on a vserver, the installation is fine, I can acces it from the web via a certain port like domain.org:1000

That's what I want to change: I want an authentication for users before they get the etherpad landing page, from which you can create public pads and the like.

So here is what I tried and what does not work right now:
I generated a password for a user with
htpasswd -c , renamed it to .htpasswd and put it in usr/local/pwd/.htpasswd. Then I sat up an .htaccess in the same dir with this content

AuthName "pw bitte"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile "/usr/local/pwd/.htpasswd"
Require valid-user

Then I edited the httpd.conf in /etc/apache2

and inserted this

<Proxy *>
AuthName "pw bitte"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile "/usr/local/pwd/.htpasswd"
Require user etherp
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from all
</Proxy>

I restarted Apache with
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

But when accesing domain.org:1000 or domain.org now no authentication box pops up. Any idea? Thanks a lot!
mute

Re: Reverse proxy authentication

Postby Nobbie » 16. December 2010 16:44

mute wrote:But when accesing domain.org:1000 or domain.org now no authentication box pops up

Of course not - where is the relation ship between Apache (listening on Port 80) and the Etherpad (listening on Port 1000)? Where is your "Reverse Proxy" (as stated in your topic)?

If you enter domain.org:1000 into your browsers URL, the request is not fetched by Apache (you may de-install Apache, there would be no difference).
Nobbie

Return to Apache