Virtual Host Apache '403 Access Forbidden' AH00132

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Virtual Host Apache '403 Access Forbidden' AH00132

Postby MacXamppUser » 13. March 2024 19:51

Hi all,
Apologies if this has been answered before but the search doesn't appear to be working correctly, falling over with a 'Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.' message.

Any way, i've been having issues with Xampp and virtual hosts under Ventura 13.6.5 (Intel Mini). Xampp works perfectly fine with the default '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs' directory and any website under this works. However i'm wanting to add a virtual host for an additional 'website' pointing to a directory under my user '~/Documents' directory.

So i've enabled the vhost.conf file and added -
Code: Select all
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName localhost
    DocumentRoot "/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs"
    <Directory "/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes execCGI
        AllowOverride None
        Require all granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName local.test
    DocumentRoot "/Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/test/public_html"
    <Directory "/Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/test/public_html">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes execCGI
        AllowOverride None
        Require all granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The standard Xampp works fine, however the 'local.test' fails with a 'AH00132: file permissions deny server access: /Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/test/public_html/index.html' error.

In terms of trying to fix it, i have tried -

• Made sure the entire '/Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/' directory is 'chmod -R MacXamppUser:staff', which still results in a 'AH00132'/403 error message.
  • Have tried a 'chown -R 777' on the '/Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/' directory, same result.
  • Changed the Apache/httpd process (within httpd.conf) to run as 'User MacXamppUser / Group staff', again same result.
  • Made sure the all the user/group ACL's (ie - user 'MacXamppUser', group 'staff' and everyone) on '/Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/' are set to 'Read & Write', exactly the same.

Looking at '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs', it seems it's permissions are set to 'root:admin'. However, the ACL's on '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs' seems to show a 'system' user which doesn't appear to be on the machine.

So changing Apache/httpd back to run as the default daemon user and group, i tried to add the 'system' user -
sudo chmod -R +a "system allow list,add_file,search,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/MacXamppUser/Documents/DevSites/

Which failed as 'system' user doesn't exist and returns a 'UUID' not found type error. I tried adding the 'daemon' user, which does exist and it returned the error -
(13)Permission denied: [client 127.0.0.1:54286] AH00529: /Users/MacXamppUser/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/Users/MacXamppUser/' is executable

But that doesn't make particular sense and seems to suggest making the entire '/Users/MacXamppUser/' directory 777.

So i'm at a loss now and it seems unless websites are under '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs', Xampp (Apache) doesn't want to know.

Does anyone have any clue how to get Xampp to execute websites under a user owned directory/within '~/Documents'?

Much appreciate for any help as i'm going around in circles currently :(

P.s - reason to try and get Xampp to load sites within '~/Documents', is most of my editors have to be elevated everytime i save to '/Applications' which is extremely annoying when editing large amounts of files.
MacXamppUser

XAMPP version: 8.2.4.0
Operating System: Mac Ventura 13.6.5

Re: Virtual Host Apache '403 Access Forbidden' AH00132

Postby SoccerGuy3 » 22. March 2024 23:16

did you ever get this working? I am also trying to run sites out of my ~/Documents folder
SoccerGuy3

XAMPP version: 8.0
Operating System: MacOS

Postby MacXamppUser » 03. April 2024 14:47

SoccerGuy3 wrote:did you ever get this working? I am also trying to run sites out of my ~/Documents folder

Nope. It seems to be a permissions issue but after spending another day on it going around in circle, i didn't get anywhere. In the end i moved to MAMP, which is better and worse (it's expensive for starters) but does allow you to use other directories for hosting out of.
MacXamppUser

XAMPP version: 8.2.4.0
Operating System: Mac Ventura 13.6.5

Postby marctremblay » 07. April 2024 15:30

I also tried for a couple days to set up XAMPP under macOS with a different htdocs location (on my USB drive) and it would work for a short while and then the next minute or when you restart XAMPP or the computer then it doesn't work anymore and results in all error 500 or 403. I ended up using the free version of MAMP and in under 5 minutes it was all set up and working perfectly fine. It's been running for 24 hours without any issue.
marctremblay

XAMPP version: 8.2.4
Operating System: macOS 14.4.1

Return to XAMPP for macOS