cannot start apache on Intel mac

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

cannot start apache on Intel mac

Postby glenn.fulford » 26. February 2024 23:44

Hi, as part of trying to debug why my wordpress installation wasn't running on my Silicon mac, I tried to install XAMPP on an old Intel mac. The installation went ok, and I can start the XAMPP manager-osx app. When I try to start apache, it tries to start (yellow light) and joust stops (red light). Same with mySql. I am using the default ports 80 and 3306.

I I just type locslhost into my browser, I get the page "It works". Does this mean I have a port:80 conflict? Or is this normal behaviour of the standard mac apache? I dont get the "It Works" page on my Silicon mac, I just get an eoor message that "This site can't be reached". But XAMPP works on this computer when I start the apache and mysql servers.

On the Intel mac, I have checked the Server Events tab, and there is nothing there except a message to say it it starting apache.
I have tried changing the port from 80 to 8888, but apache still wont start. Then it wont let me change the port back to 80 excpet be reinstalling XAMPP.

Because the Intel mac is old I wonder if there is something there that is using port 80 or whehter this is normal behaviour for intel macs. I am now running the laterst version of MacOS, Sonoma, but I had the same problem on an earlier version.

I would like to have two localhost versions son different computers o I can practice moving my Wordpress site around, and XAMPP is attractive because it is multiplatform.
glenn.fulford

XAMPP version: 8.2.4-0
Operating System: MacOS 14.2.1 On Silicon M1

Re: cannot start apache on Intel mac

Postby Nobbie » 27. February 2024 11:40

You have already another Apache installed, "It works" is the common welcome screen of different Apache than Xampp.
Nobbie

Postby glenn.fulford » 29. February 2024 00:30

That's what I thought, but how can I find it to stop it? I have made sure my MAMP server is shut doewn. The It Works screen is still there even after I reboot. So could it be an Apache that is part of the OS and is being automatically started when I login? It doesn't happen with my Silico Mac.
glenn.fulford

XAMPP version: 8.2.4-0
Operating System: MacOS 14.2.1 On Silicon M1

Postby Nobbie » 29. February 2024 12:08

I dont know, i dont use Apple. All i iknow that this is the default Welcome screen of Apache, which is not shown from Xampp.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS