Cannot select database error

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot select database error

Postby glenn.fulford » 24. February 2024 08:43

I am getting a "cannot select database" error when I try to install Wordpress.

I believe I installed XAMPP correctly, the mySql light is green on the manager. I have also created a wordpress database using phpAdmin, and I have checked that it exists in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql (a useful tip I found in a previous post.) I also have a new install of XAMPP 8.2.4-0.

When I type localhost/wordpress in my chrome browser it correctly starts the installation. I select root as the user, notheing as the password and localhost as the database host.
Then the next screen is the error about coannot select database.

I am using MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1 on a Silicon M1 chip.

Has anyone come across this error and knows how to fix it? Or can someone help me investigate what the cause is.

Thanks, Glenn
glenn.fulford

XAMPP version: 8.2.4-0
Operating System: MacOS 14.2.1 On Silicon M1

Re: Cannot select database error

Postby glenn.fulford » 26. February 2024 23:27

I eventually got this to work, by copying the file wp-config.php into the wordpress directory. The Wordpress installation is supposed to create this file, but for some reason it coulldn't do it.

The rellt is a bit more clumsy that with MAMP which I wanted to switch from. To start wordpress, typing localhost/wordpress on brings uop the sample page. But I can get to the wordpress dashboard by typing localhost/wordpress/wp-admin in my browser.
glenn.fulford

XAMPP version: 8.2.4-0
Operating System: MacOS 14.2.1 On Silicon M1

Return to XAMPP for macOS