lost htdocs contents?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

lost htdocs contents?

Postby exactspace » 01. November 2023 16:39

macOS 14.1
xampp-osx-8.0.28-0-installer

I previously used xampp-osx-8.1.6-0-vm on an older version of macOS. I just opened it up, and was able to open the htdocs folder with my projects inside which ran locally in my web browser.

I upgraded from Mac OS 13 to 14.1. xampp-osx-8.1.6-0-vm no longer opened. (I can double click, but the application does not open). I assumed this was because this was no longer compatible with macOS 14.

I could no longer find any VM versions of Xampp, so I installed xampp-osx-8.0.28-0-installer. I can look inside the htdocs folder there, and none of my files are there.

These files are sacred to me. Are they still somewhere with the Xampp VM version, or were they destroyed when I updated my Mac's OS version? Or destroyed when I installed the non-VM version of Xampp? Do I actually have nothing to worry about, and the VM htdocs folder is somewhere?
exactspace

XAMPP version: 8.0.28
Operating System: MacOS

Re: lost htdocs contents?

Postby Swout1945 » 03. November 2023 04:36

If you find the old htdocs folder, make a backup of it before proceeding. Then, copy the contents of the old htdocs folder to the htdocs folder of your new XAMPP installation (xampp-osx-8.0.28-0-installer).
Swout1945

XAMPP version: apachefriends
Operating System: ios

Postby exactspace » 03. November 2023 14:20

Swout1945 wrote:If you find the old htdocs folder, make a backup of it before proceeding. Then, copy the contents of the old htdocs folder to the htdocs folder of your new XAMPP installation (xampp-osx-8.0.28-0-installer).

I did not, but I did go to the old XAMPP VM app that I can't open, showed contents, then found a 15 GB qcow2 file called "machine.qcow2". Could this be it with my containing files? Can I open that qcow2 file in the new version of XAMPP?

edit: on the new XAMPP, I don't see a place to mount.
exactspace

XAMPP version: 8.0.28
Operating System: MacOS

Postby Nobbie » 04. November 2023 10:49

You cannot open that file in Xampp, but you can mount it anywhere you like, it is a virtual folder of kvm / qemu virtual machine. Google for "mount qcow2 image macos".

When you succeeded, you can copy all data and files of this virtual image (i.e. copy to new Xampp installation).
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS