Sonoma on M2 and Xampp permission problems

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Sonoma on M2 and Xampp permission problems

Postby TheAntItaly » 30. October 2023 11:37

Hi, I installed Xampp 8.2.4 on my Mac Studio with M2 and Macos 14.0. It starts normally and works properly. Problems arise when I add a folder in htdocs, for example a new wordpress or joomla installation, the browser tells me I don't have permissions to access and continue. If I assign read and write permissions for everyone to the Xampp folder, PhpMyAdmin says the permissions can't be free for everyone and it doesn't work. Then I assign read and write permissions only to the joomla or wordpress folder and I can proceed with the installation. On the other hand, if I try to copy an online site backup folder into htdocs to test locally, the browser reports other access problems, even if I assign read and write permissions for all. Why is it so complicated to work with Xampp on a Mac? What is the correct way to set permissions?
There is only one user/administrator on my Mac.
TheAntItaly

XAMPP version: 8.2.4
Operating System: Macos 14

Re: Sonoma on M2 and Xampp permission problems

Postby Nobbie » 31. October 2023 15:21

TheAntItaly wrote:Why is it so complicated to work with Xampp on a Mac?

Because it's not Windows. MacOS is a unixoid operating system and brings with it sophisticated user and rights management.

And Xampp is unfortunately not a simple office software or some game software, but a complex server software, which actually has no place on private PCs. If you still want to run a web server at home, you have to deal with the necessary configurations and rights, because servers have to be managed with administrative rights, and on the other hand the private data of a small user should be protected from access by other users. You run your PC quasi simultaneously as a server and as a remote client, which is very unusual. Normally, a system administrator is assigned the task of setting up and configuring a web server. Normally a server is a server and a client is a client. And not both at once.

And Xampp is kind of trying to square the circle here, installing a complex server environment with support from an end user instead of a trained administrator.

Furthermore, Apple's claim that everything on a Mac is simple and works by itself is simply a marketing lie.
Nobbie

Postby Muty1994 » 02. November 2023 08:04

https://basketballrandom.com
TheAntItaly wrote:Hi, I installed Xampp 8.2.4 on my Mac Studio with M2 and Macos 14.0. It starts normally and works properly. Problems arise when I add a folder in htdocs, for example a new wordpress or joomla installation, the browser tells me I don't have permissions to access and continue. If I assign read and write permissions for everyone to the Xampp folder, PhpMyAdmin says the permissions can't be free for everyone and it doesn't work. Then I assign read and write permissions only to the joomla or wordpress folder and I can proceed with the installation. On the other hand, if I try to copy an online site backup folder into htdocs to test locally, the browser reports other access problems, even if I assign read and write permissions for all. Why is it so complicated to work with Xampp on a Mac? What is the correct way to set permissions?
There is only one user/administrator on my Mac.

It's generally not recommended to set the permissions of the entire Xampp folder to "read and write" for everyone. This can pose security risks.
Instead, it's better to set the ownership and permissions specifically for the folders/files within the Xampp directory that require read and write access.
Muty1994

XAMPP version: 2
Operating System: ios

Postby Nobbie » 02. November 2023 21:20

Muty1994 wrote:It's generally not recommended to set the permissions of the entire Xampp folder to "read and write" for everyone. This can pose security risks.
Instead, it's better to set the ownership and permissions specifically for the folders/files within the Xampp directory that require read and write access.

Exactly.

But this requires some basic knowlegde, which usually totally lacks by Apple users. They are used to believe in Apples "everything is easy" on a Mac. Thats the main problem.
Nobbie

Postby artisteacher » 08. March 2024 03:57

As an Apple user I strongly disagree that we all lack basic knowledge! I personally think the bigger issue is some of the documentation on the mac side of things. Following certain steps just doesn't work, or what is listed as included isn't actually included...

Anyways, I would try granting Read/Write permissions to the htdocs directory. In Finder, use "Get Info" and in the permissions section, change the permissions for everyone (or specific users) to Read/Write. With that user still selected, click on the actions button (next to the add/remove buttons) and also "Apply to enclosed items...". That last step makes a big difference.

Personally, I don't get why there's not an option through the installer to get the right permissions setup from the start.
artisteacher

XAMPP version: 8.2.4
Operating System: macOS

Return to XAMPP for macOS