Straightforward Joomla install results in 403 error

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Straightforward Joomla install results in 403 error

Postby dckchk » 12. September 2023 19:27

I have a reply in the post "Access forbidden - 403 error - VirtualHost" but realized that I should have started a new post. I have not been able to find a solution from available posts and I don't think I should be encountering this issue with a relatively straightforward install. I am not a web development pro but I have previously posted a Joomla 3 site which is currently down for migration to Joomla 4.

I am currently working on another site "ccorch.net" which I have installed locally using xampp with the following installation details.
computer: Mac Studio (apple silicon) running Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2, XAMPP 8.1.17, Joomla 4.3.4

I installed XAMPP, and created my database "ccorch" in phpMyAdmin. I chose not to allow external network connections as I only intend to run on my Mac Studio. I also attended to FTP and MySQL passwords.
I then unzipped the Joomla_4.3.4-Stable-Full_Package file, copied the folder to /xampfiles/htdocs and renamed it "ccorch" (/applications/XAMPP/xampfiles/htdocs/ccorch)

After doing all this, opening the XAMPP dashboard produces the expected Welcome page but an attempt to open localhost/ccorch produces the "Access forbidden!, Error 403"

I am reluctant to tinker around int the htaccess.txt. I do notice that the error log below refers to the hidden file .htaccess. I duplicated htaccess.txt and renamed to .htaccess with no effect

It seems to me that my credentials as super user should override any access issues. Any help will be much appreciated. I have used the command console in the past but at age 86 I was hoping not to have to resort to much of that just to get the Joomla setup process going.

The Apache error log:
[Tue Sep 12 10:50:43.228886 2023] [core:crit] [pid 4887] (13)Permission denied: [client 127.0.0.1:54429] AH00529: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ccorch/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ccorch/' is executable
[Tue Sep 12 11:33:48.670872 2023] [core:crit] [pid 1491] (13)Permission denied: [client 127.0.0.1:54977] AH00529: /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ccorch/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ccorch/' is executable
dick@Duke ~ %

XAMPP security check:
XAMPP: Quick security check...
XAMPP: MySQL is not accessable via network. Good.
XAMPP: MySQL has a root passwort set. Fine! :)
XAMPP: ProFTPD has a new FTP password. Great!
XAMPP: Do you want to change the password anyway? [no]
XAMPP: Done.
dckchk

XAMPP version: 8.2.4
Operating System: Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2

Return to XAMPP for macOS