Update just php (using DesktopServer)

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: Update just php (using DesktopServer)

Postby Nobbie » 18. February 2023 16:28

See the "P.S." from my previous posting - we will find out.

Before we try to install a new Xampp, we should export some (or all?) WordPress databases. Which ones do you want to import/export?
Nobbie

Postby Valkrider » 18. February 2023 16:30

Wordpress is latest version in all of these from memory, I will check and update now. So don't worry about the Wordpress side I can sort that regardless and I will backup the db's now.
Valkrider

XAMPP version: 7.3.6
Operating System: OS X v12.6.1

Postby Nobbie » 18. February 2023 17:05

You know how to backup databases? You either can use PhpMyAdmin (which i dont like), or you can use "mysqldump" tool from XAMPP installation.
Nobbie

Postby Valkrider » 18. February 2023 17:45

Yes I know how to backup and all done
Valkrider

Postby sideburn » 18. February 2023 18:37

Initially the point of this thread was to figure out a way to keep using the “one-click” WP install feature offered by DesktopServer.

With that said, it looks like that path is derailing so If you are going to abort that mission and just migrate out, then my suggestion for the easiest solution would be to install MAMP (https://www.mamp.info) on your Mac (no need for the pro version, the free one should be fine for your needs) and export your databases (you can use phpmyadmin in DesktopServer / xampp installation) and then import them into the MAMP database instead. Then change the ip’s in your hosts file to point to the MAMP IP and port if needed but might not need to unless it’s at a port. localhost ip should work fine for you since you do not have multiple servers.

From that point you can toss DesktopServer altogether a carry on with MAMP instead.

You’ll lose the one-click Wordpress site setup convenience of course, so to spin up your WP sites in the future you’ll have to add your new domain names manually on your hosts file and then create the new directory in MAMP and download Wordpress.zip, extract into new directory, create a new database (you can use phpmyadmin again for this but within MAMP) setup WP-config.php to point to the new database and the visit your domain in a browser and Wordpress will kick in and take you through the setup.

** be sure to match the $table_prefix in your wp-config.php to match the prefix set in your original database you are migrating!

*** php 8 should not be a problem with your Wordpress installation(s).

I wouldn’t bother with XAMPP anymore.
Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Last edited by sideburn on 18. February 2023 19:00, edited 8 times in total.
sideburn

XAMPP version: 7.3
Operating System: macOS

Postby Nobbie » 18. February 2023 18:38

Ok, at next shutdown Xampp. Download a new Xampp Installation (do NOT choose the VM Version, we need the normal OSX Version).

Then rename the existing Xampp installation (for example rename to /Applications/XAMPP.old or similar) and finally install the new Xampp version.

At next we will try to overtake the whole data folder of the old installation. As I dont have macOS here, i dont know the structure of Xampp on macOS. Which is the data(?) folder, where MySQL/MariaDB stores all data?
Nobbie

Postby Valkrider » 18. February 2023 19:22

Nobbie wrote: As I dont have macOS here, i dont know the structure of Xampp on macOS. Which is the data(?) folder, where MySQL/MariaDB stores all data?

I have no idea what file should I search for? The rest I can do.
Valkrider

Postby Nobbie » 18. February 2023 22:08

Its not a file, its a folder. As well on Linux as on Windows it is named "data" and it is a subfolder somewhere in Xampp.

As i can see, you have /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles as subfolder, i think, somewhere there is the data folder. We are looking for the folder which is used by MySQL/MariaDB to save all databases. You can also go for the mysqld.cnf file (if there is any), the entry "datadir=...." shows the location of MySQL databases.

If you cannot find it, do a recursive printout of /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles, we will find the folder.
Nobbie

Postby Valkrider » 18. February 2023 23:53

No data directory that has anything about MySQL in it in the Xampfiles likewise no mysqld.cnf file anywhere on the hdd.
Valkrider

Postby Nobbie » 19. February 2023 01:06

Due to Xampp FAQ the Mysql Configuration file is /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/etc/my.cnf

Look for entry "datadir". If you still cannot find it, do a recursive listing of xamppfiles and show here.
Nobbie

Postby Nobbie » 19. February 2023 19:04

Closed? Ok.
Nobbie

Postby Valkrider » 19. February 2023 19:31

Had a quick look without success travelling home back tomorrow.
Valkrider

Previous

Return to XAMPP for macOS