XAMPP-Apache: Access to htdocs no longer works after Dropbox

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP-Apache: Access to htdocs no longer works after Dropbox

Postby smare » 31. October 2022 21:29

Hello,

so far I have been able to successfully access localhost via Apache server with the existing XAMPP installation 7.2.12.-0 under macOS 12.6 Monterey. The htdocs were located in my Dropbox folder /user/myname/Dropbox/htdocs/, so that all source codes could always be synchronised.

Now Dropbox has suggested an update for macOS 12.5 and higher. I did this so that the Dropbox folder was moved to /user/myname/Library/CloudStorage/. This means that my htdocs are now under /user/myname/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/htdocs/.

I have successfully adjusted the path in Apache and released the file permissions as far as possible. Nevertheless, access to the files under htdocs/ is now not allowed, which can be seen in the error.log.

Does anyone know this new problem after updating Dropbox? Do you have a solution?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Stefan
smare

XAMPP version: 7.2.12.
Operating System: macOS 12.6

Re: XAMPP-Apache: Access to htdocs no longer works after Dro

Postby pizzafilms » 17. January 2023 00:14

smare wrote:So far I have been able to successfully access localhost via Apache server with the existing XAMPP installation 7.2.12.-0 under macOS 12.6 Monterey. The htdocs were located in my Dropbox folder /user/myname/Dropbox/htdocs/, so that all source codes could always be synchronised.

Hey Stefan,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for your issue, I'm looking for a solid answer on how to use any other location for the htdocs folder. You mention above what I want to do exactly. I've read and tried so many things but nothing worked. Maybe I'm missing some simple step or two. Could you please share how you did it?

It really seems like the XAMPP team should explain this in a FAQ as it's something that many users would want, and frankly, anywhere inside the Applications folder is just not the best place for user documents.

Thanks.
pizzafilms

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Mac 12.6.2

Return to XAMPP for macOS