Monterey 12.2.1 - cannot check it for malicious software

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Monterey 12.2.1 - cannot check it for malicious software

Postby Elukasiewicz » 21. April 2022 15:15

I have macOS Monterey 12.2.1 (No M1 chip) and every time i try to install xampp-osx-8.1.5-0-vm i get the following error message::

“xampp-osx-8.1.5-0-vm” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I am the admin user on my laptop, is there any way to bypass this security measure so i can install xampp?
Elukasiewicz

XAMPP version: 8.1.5
Operating System: macOS Monterey 12.2.1

Re: Monterey 12.2.1 - cannot check it for malicious software

Postby Nobbie » 21. April 2022 20:10

Simply enter that message into Google, you will get tons of responses. Its a plain Apple issue, not to install software from "unknown" developers. You actually should know your Apple machine.
Nobbie

Postby Lucib » 02. May 2022 09:08

Yeah I tried running it via console (dropping the $ prefix, using these steps: https://www.javatpoint.com/how-to-install-xampp-on-mac) but doesn't work. Definitely an Apple issue :(
Lucib

Operating System: macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Postby Lucib » 02. May 2022 09:51

Elukasiewicz wrote:I have macOS Monterey 12.2.1 (No M1 chip) and every time i try to install xampp-osx-8.1.5-0-vm i get the following error message::

“xampp-osx-8.1.5-0-vm” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I am the admin user on my laptop, is there any way to bypass this security measure so i can install xampp?

I reached out to Apple and they provided a way to bypass this here: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchleab3a043/12.0/mac/12.0
Lucib

Operating System: macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Postby UnbutCongee » 23. November 2023 19:40

As someone who works at an IT company, I must say that Apple's security measures can sometimes be overly strict. However, if you're facing issues when installing XAMPP and need to bypass these measures, you can try the following steps:
1. Retry opening the application.
2. Click "OK" when the error message appears.
3. Go to "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy".
4. Unlock the preferences by clicking on the lock icon and entering your admin password.
5. In the "General" tab, you'll likely see a message stating that XAMPP was blocked because it's not from an identified developer. Click "Open Anyway".
6. A confirmation dialog will appear. Consider the risks and click "Open" if you're confident in your decision.
By following these steps, you should be able to install XAMPP without issues. Nevertheless, it's crucial to note that we always advise caution when bypassing security measures.
UnbutCongee

XAMPP version: 8.2.12
Operating System: Windows 8

Return to XAMPP for macOS