XAMPP not working on 2020 Macbook M1 11.3.1, Big Sur

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP not working on 2020 Macbook M1 11.3.1, Big Sur

Postby gtaillefer » 03. July 2021 23:31

Hello everyone, I have been searching through the internet and it seems to me that many people are having some version of the same problem as I am, but so far I have tried many different ways to try and solve this problem but they do not work.

Not too long ago I got a new 2020 MacBook with the M1 chip on Mac OS 11.3.1 Big Sur. I had transfered all of my files to this computer and I just tried launching XAMPP to work on my project. However when I did and tried clicking on "Start" to start the server it displayed an error message saying

Code: Select all
Error starting "XAMPP" stack

Then when clicking on "Show details" it displayed this:

cannot calculate MAC address: Using fd 9 for I/O notifications
hv_vm_create HV_ERROR (unspecified error)

For hours I have been searching the internet for answers and have tried many different things but none work. The most common solution that I have found is the one here:
https://pookidevs.com/solved-error-starting-xampp-stack-cannot-calculate-mac-address/

However the problem is that that solution solves the problem of the ones with the error messages saying
cannot calculate MAC address: signal: killed

And of course mine has a different error message. I have seen others that have the same error message as mine but they either don't have solutions or the solutions don't work. I saw a couple times some people suggesting to install the non-vm version of xampp (which I tried it and it worked) but I would like to use the vm version of xampp as it has all of the features unlike the install version.

So again, I have a 2020 Macbook with the new M1 chip on Mac OS Big Sur 11.3.1, and if anyone can help me solve this issue that would be great!

Thanks, gtaillefer
gtaillefer

XAMPP version: 8.0.7
Operating System: Mac OS Big Sur 11.3.1

Return to XAMPP for macOS