Localhost not found

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Localhost not found

Postby Peter38d6340f » 20. September 2020 16:20

Unable to get started. Downloaded 7.4.10 package from Apache Friend site. XAMPP folder not created, XAMPP (application) appears in Library.
I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6. Machine is 2019 iMac.
Running the application opens the manager. All services run/stop normally. With Apache running, using Safari, "localhost" gets me Server not found message.
Apache running. Network showing port forwarding to 8080. I enabled the port forward because it was suggested in the community post as a possible solution. Did not change anything.
when I try to load local host in Safari I get "Failed to open page"
When I click on "Go to Application" on Xampp controller, it opens: http://192.168.64.2/dashboard/ It's a welcome message.

Now I have uninstalled, and reinstalled. Everything the same except when I go to "Network" in the XAMPP controller, if I try to enable the forward to 8080, I get error message that says the port is already in use " listen tcp 127.0.0.1:8080: bind: address already in use"
Still get "Server can not be found "localhost" message from Safari. I tried using Chrome Brower, same result.

Seems like such a simple issue, but I am stuck.
Peter38d6340f

XAMPP version: 7.4.10
Operating System: Mac OS 10.15.6

Re: Localhost not found

Postby Nobbie » 20. September 2020 18:13

The issue is simple, but mostly surprising.

There are two DIFFERENT Xampp Versions for OSX, one is called "VM" (VM = VirtualMachine) and the other not (its a "normal" version). Most people (like you) download and install the VM version, without having any reason and without knowing it. Unfortunately Bitnami does not mark the VM version any more (they did formerly).

Once again, de-install your current installation, proceed to https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html and you will find 6(!) different installers for Xampp OSX. Do NOT pick one of the lower three (these are twice the size of the first three), as these are the VM version (which i do NOT recommend). Pick one of the first three installers and install it.

Finally you will get a "normal" OSX Xampp Installation in /Applications/Xampp and everything will work as expected. All your troubles are due to the VM version. I still dont understand, why Bitnami offers the VM version (without marking it!), there are so many troubles with that, i do not support that in any way. I cant find any advantage and there are lots of problems.
Nobbie

Postby Peter38d6340f » 21. September 2020 15:37

Bless you. Worked exactly as you explained.
Now I'm back to the tutorial !
BTW; if you are familiar with a learning system, tutorial, book, et that you believe particularly helpful, I would pay attention.
Thanks again,
Pete
Peter38d6340f

XAMPP version: 7.4.10
Operating System: Mac OS 10.15.6

Postby Nobbie » 22. September 2020 11:19

Peter38d6340f wrote:BTW; if you are familiar with a learning system, tutorial, book, et that you believe particularly helpful, I would pay attention.

I dont know many, as i am a german, mostly german books. There is one book which i love most, that is the beautiful "MySQL Kochbuch". which is available in english as well "MySQL Cookbook" from Paul Dubois (published by O'Reilly). You can find it on Amazon for example.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS