New to Xampp

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New to Xampp

Postby lithot » 13. March 2019 11:01

I too am just starting out with XAMP and I have just installed Version 5.6.40. I appreciate there are newer versions with newer PHP but my production server uses PHP 5.6.39 so this was the nearest I could get. Am I right to do this, or should I have gone for the latest XAMP anyway?

The installation went very smoothly but I was a bit surprised to find that /htdocs already contained so files and folders, and this seems to be the way to get to the dashboard (via index.php). If I delete all those files and folders so that I can put my own files in /htdocs, will I lose the dashboard and anything else? Or should I use a different folder for my own files?

As the OP said, most of you guys on here seem to be so far ahead of us beginners that you forget to provide guidance on the elementary stuff. Please don't be offended by this comment but it is a bit off-putting when the package doesn't come with a simple Getting Started guide.

I will shortly have to start on the MySQL bit. I hope that goes smoothly.
lithot
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 03. February 2014 17:26
XAMPP version: 5.6.40
Operating System: MAC OS X Version 10.12.6

Re: New to Xampp

Postby Altrea » 13. March 2019 12:17

lithot wrote:I too am just starting out with XAMP and I have just installed Version 5.6.40.

Do you use Windows or MAC OS X? Because your profile says Windows but you are in the Mac OS X forum here.

lithot wrote:I appreciate there are newer versions with newer PHP but my production server uses PHP 5.6.39 so this was the nearest I could get. Am I right to do this, or should I have gone for the latest XAMP anyway?

Always use the versions which comes as close compared to your production system.

lithot wrote:The installation went very smoothly but I was a bit surprised to find that /htdocs already contained so files and folders, and this seems to be the way to get to the dashboard (via index.php). If I delete all those files and folders so that I can put my own files in /htdocs, will I lose the dashboard and anything else? Or should I use a different folder for my own files?

If you delete the dashboard folder you will lose the possibility to access the dashboard by url http://localhost/dashboard/. The index.php in your htdocs does only perform a redirect to http://localhost/dashboard/.
I cannot tell you if you need the dashboard or not. I personally don't need it. But it is always best practice to create a new folder for each webapplication you want to install.
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 9768
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: New to Xampp

Postby lithot » 13. March 2019 12:45

I'm on MAC OS X. I registered years ago when I was on Windows but never did anything with XAMP at the time. I'll go and change my profile.

I'll clear all the other stuff out of /htdocs then and just leave dashboard as the interloper on my website. That's manageable when I come to upload to the production server.

Now I'm just starting to play with the MySQL bit. "Access denied" at first attempt but I'll search this forum for help. I'm pretty sure it's just a little simple thing.

Thanks for the quick reply.
lithot
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 03. February 2014 17:26
XAMPP version: 5.6.40
Operating System: MAC OS X Version 10.12.6


Return to XAMPP for Mac OS X

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests