I've got a duzzy and can really use your help with mysql

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

I've got a duzzy and can really use your help with mysql

Postby mhiga » 07. December 2018 04:52

Back story: I had an older version of XAMPP (can't remember which version but probably 4-5 years back) to which I created a DB. I had since upgraded XAMPP to 7.2.12 which wiped out the DB. I accepted the fact that I was never going to get the DB back so I started a new one on the new XAMPP. Low-and-behold, some of the old data started showing up on mysql-query's. Getting a bit excited, I started to download older versions of XAMPP to see if I can revive the old DB but this is where it got me.

The XAMPP 7.2.12 no longer starts. Not the MySQL, FTP, nor Apache. I figured I can just download it again and reinstall (but this time I was smart enough to rename the old 7.2.12). The reinstall worked but now I'm trying to figure out how to move my new DB from the "damaged" 7.2.12 to the new one. I've gone as far as moving the folder from the old: /xamppfiles/var/mysql/(my file) to the new one. The DB now shows up on phpmyadmin BUT the columns and data did not follow.

Can't do the export/import option because I can't start the old XAMPP to view and export the DB.

Is there a way to make this work? I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction to get the old XAMPP to run OR to successfully transfer the DB by moving files.
I am, by no means, an expert and rely on your good graces to get me out of my stupidity.

All assistance gracefully accepted.
mhiga

Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite

Re: I've got a duzzy and can really use your help with mysql

Postby Nobbie » 07. December 2018 12:02

mhiga wrote:I've gone as far as moving the folder from the old: /xamppfiles/var/mysql/(my file) to the new one. The DB now shows up on phpmyadmin BUT the columns and data did not follow.

The problem is exactly what you see: the folder "(myfile)" only holds the table structure and definitions from your data. The data itself is stored in /xamppfiles/var/mysql/ibdata (or similar), a complex INNODB datafile, which holds ALL data of your Xampp installation. You probably overwrote the existing idbata file by a new one, as you simply "overinstalled" one Xampp installation over another. This definetaly destroys the existing data. Actually i dont think you can restore your data, except you did an backup before you overinstalled Xampp.
Nobbie

Re: I've got a duzzy and can really use your help with mysql

Postby mhiga » 08. December 2018 00:31

I was afraid it would be something like that.

Thank you for your time in reading through my miseries.
I really appreciate the reply.
mhiga

Operating System: Mac OS X Yosemite

Return to XAMPP for macOS