Xampp VM Mojave - Multiple Issues

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp VM Mojave - Multiple Issues

Postby reece-kenney » 28. September 2018 14:06

So I just got a new macbook pro (maxed out 15 inch, 2018) and also just installed Mac OS Mojave.

To my frustration, I have noticed many issues which are rendering it unusable.

1) For some reason, the "Explore" button which opens the /opt/lampp directory from the Xampp application does nothing when pressed.
    2) Opening any directory inside the opt/lampp directory with Sublime text causes Sublime to freeze until it is Force Quit. Well, opening the directory is fine but when I then click on one of the files themselves (from within Sublime), it freezes.
    3) I cannot compress any directory from inside the opt/lampp directory. I'm working on a teaching course and need to take zip file backups at each step (to give to the students) and when I try to compress my website's directory, it just hangs saying Preparing to compress "".
    4) I can't move any file from within the opt/lampp directory to any other location on my computer. To overcome my previously mentioned compression issue, I tried moving the files elsewhere on my mac to hopefully compress them from another location but this didn't work. When I try to move them it freezes again.

It's worth noting that this all worked fine on my previous macbook (which didn't have Mojave).

Part of me thinks this is a permissions issue somewhere?
reece-kenney

XAMPP version: Xampp VM
Operating System: Mac

Re: Xampp VM Mojave - Multiple Issues

Postby Nobbie » 28. September 2018 20:58

Dont use Xampp-VM, instead a normal installation and everything is fine. I never understood the VM version, it does not solve any problem, but it provides lots of problems.
Nobbie

Postby reece-kenney » 29. September 2018 10:50

Thanks for the response :)

Yeah I might have to do that. I actually wanted to do that already, but with the issue which prevents me from moving files from this folder, I am unable to move my work to the regular Xampp folder...

But yes, as soon as I figure out how to move my files, I will stick to the regular Xampp rather than the VM version.
reece-kenney

Postby reece-kenney » 29. September 2018 18:06

So just to follow up, I have not solved this yet, but I have worked around it by using the regular version of Xampp (not the VM version) just as Nobbie suggested.

My problem was that I couldn't move my files from the xampp vm directory to the regular xampp directory. I was able to get around this by using the terminal to zip and move the files.

So in terminal:

Code: Select all
cd /Users/YOUR-USERNAME/.bitnami/stackman/machines/xampp/volumes/root/htdocs
zip -r NameOfNewZipFile.zip DirectoryToZip
sudo mv NameOfNewZipFile.zip /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs

Since it worked with terminal, I have no doubt there are some permission issues, but I didn't want to spend more time looking into this so this is fine for me.
reece-kenney

Return to XAMPP for macOS