mysql fails to start (apache starts ok)

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysql fails to start (apache starts ok)

Postby davidh » 24. March 2018 09:20

Vital stats:
macOS 10.13.13 (all updates done)
Macbook Air 7.2 (multiple units in educational setting), also on a macbookpro 8.1)
XAMMP 7.2.3

I am using instructions from https://jonathannicol.com/blog/2012/03/12/launching-xampp-at-osx-startup/
to automatically start apache and mysql on startup. Apache consistently starts but mysql is very unreliable. If I use "manager-osx" to start mysql manually it fails to start. The application log tab shows nothing. If I stop all services then restart the application log shows that proftp and apache have started but it doesn't get past "Starting MySQL Database..."

If I remove the plist file from /Libary/LaunchDaemons that should start mysql I can then start mysql manually with manager-osx. That is clearly pointing towards the startup script as being the cause.The following code from the above link:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EnableTransactions</key>
<true/>
<key>Label</key>
<string>apachefriends.xampp.mysql.start</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp</string>
<string>startmysql</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>WorkingDirectory</key>
<string>/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles</string>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<false/>
<key>AbandonProcessGroup</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

This code is identical to the code that is used to start apache except with the relevant changes of apache to mysql. Any suggestions as to the problem would be most welcome!
davidh

XAMPP version: 7.2.3
Operating System: macOS 10.13

Return to XAMPP for macOS