PHP files suddenly started downloading instead of processing

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PHP files suddenly started downloading instead of processing

Postby elguezio » 17. March 2018 23:48

Hi there, I apologize that I wasn't able to find an existing thread for this issue in the search. I've been developing PHP applications using XAMPP for Mac for years now without problems. Suddenly, without warning, all of my PHP files across all of my virtual hosts as well as the default host have started downloading instead of processing. Nothing has changed. I hadn't even rebooted let alone upgraded anything. I've tried rebooting, zapping PRAM, trying different browsers, and trying SSL and non SSL virtual hosts. Nothing works. I have a ton of work to do and suddenly and completely stuck. Has this ever happened before?

I'm using XAMPP for Mac version 7.0.21 and MacOS 10.13.3.

I tried reinstalling with XAMPP for Mac version 7.0.28 and, without making ANY changes to the raw install, I have the exact same problem.

Thanks in advance!
elguezio

XAMPP version: 7.0.21
Operating System: MacOS 10.13.3

Re: PHP files suddenly started downloading instead of proces

Postby Nobbie » 18. March 2018 20:21

elguezio wrote:Has this ever happened before?

Yes, surely, that happens very often. And, same as here, people say, they didnt change anything etc.pp. - until finally (when the reason is found) they usually say "ah yes, now i remember, aahhh,i did not expect that this might have this effect". And so, now we have to wait, until you are going to remember, what has changed?!

You definately changed something, but unfortunately you do not remember. Thats the way it is. Always.

As long as you are struggling, go for the access log and for the error log of your server and your virtualhosts. Find out, which requests are triggered and which files are requested. That may help you to find out, what is happening. Finally you might have installed another webserver, or you installed a .htaccess file to your document root (why ever...), there are so many reasons, but you have to do a good research. The logfiles are extremely helpfull and important - if there are no logs, you have to configure Apache to create them.
Nobbie

Re: PHP files suddenly started downloading instead of proces

Postby elguezio » 19. March 2018 23:21

Thanks for the reply! You might not believe it but I can promise that I didn't change anything. One day it was working, the next day it wasn't. I would never mess around with settings when there's a deadline looming.

Since posting the topic, I uninstalled the newer version of XAMPP and, without running through a full re-install of the older version, I re-launched its manager-osx application and started Apache. After doing that, the symptoms changed. I was able to get PHP files to process within htdocs but my vhosts, all of which utilize SSL, no longer work because Firefox no longer accepts self signed certificates. Chrome stopped accepting them weeks ago. I followed some instructions to generate new keys with a self hosted CA that I could import into MacOS keychain which got past the SSL error for one site, only to get the download-instead-of-process error again for that site. I can try this same process for a different site but I've sunk a ton of time into this over the past few days and so will likely start looking into other options such as Flywheel Local or Docker. I'll take a look at the logs though.
elguezio

XAMPP version: 7.0.21
Operating System: MacOS 10.13.3

Return to XAMPP for macOS