New to MAC and XAMPP

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New to MAC and XAMPP

Postby dpuk44 » 14. September 2017 14:52

So I am new to MAC and XAMPP.

When I run the WordPress install from fresh on my local machine I get the following message:

Sorry, but I can’t write the wp-config.php file. You can create the wp-config.php manually and paste the following text into it.

What I have to do is go to my WordPress folder inside HTDOCS, right click and click Get Info. I then have to scroll down to Sharing & Permissions and change admin and everyone to have Read & Write privileges. After doing that I can then run the WordPress install without the needing to create wp-config.php prompt.

Also I noticed I can't install new themes and what I have to do is apply my steps detailed above but then select 'apply to enclosed items'.

Coming from a Windows machine I never had to do any of this. Messing with permissions seems dangerous to me especially when I transfer my files from my local machine to a web server.

What do I need to do? Your help would be much appreciated.
dpuk44

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: New to MAC and XAMPP

Postby dpuk44 » 14. September 2017 22:57

Have just installed MAMP and I get none of the issues I mentioned above. WordPress installed with no issues and themes and plugins installed with no issues. So why do I get the with XAMPP? Be good to hear from a moderator on this one?
dpuk44

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for macOS