XAMPP for MAC and a WordPress issue

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP for MAC and a WordPress issue

Postby dpuk44 » 31. August 2017 07:08

Hi all,

So I have just switched over to a mac for the first time. I was able to install XAMPP fine with no major issues and have both Apache and MySQL running.

I installed WordPress locally and I noticed when going through the install I was prompted that the wp-config file could not be created manually and I would have to do myself...which I did. How can I prevent this from happening again on another local site?

Also I noticed when trying to update a plugin locally I have been promoted with the following message:

To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.

Do I have some kind of access issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.
dpuk44

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: XAMPP for MAC and a WordPress issue

Postby Nobbie » 31. August 2017 09:55

dpuk44 wrote:How can I prevent this from happening again on another local site?

You have to grant the Apache process write access to the config file (including write access to the folder). The rights management in OSX is similar to Linux and differs from Windows.

dpuk44 wrote:Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.

Do I have some kind of access issue?

You have to setup and run a FTP server on your Mac, and you also have to assign the wordpress installation folder to a certain user. This requires basic knowlegde about FTP servers and your Operating System (OSX). As far as i know, Xampp also delivers a FTP server, but it is on you to configure it properly.

As these things are more or less sophisticated and requires lots of skills about your operating system and servers, i would go for a professional webhoster, where all servers are already configured and running. Thats by far easier than to setup your own server.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS