New XAMPP-VM idea for the Mac

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New XAMPP-VM idea for the Mac

Postby Beltran » 23. June 2017 12:51

Hi Apache friends,

We are working on a new XAMPP-VM idea for the Mac. This XAMPP.app makes it really easy to run a full Linux and XAMPP without additional virtual machine software. We’d really like your feedback on whether this is useful to you and your workflow. For the first version we’ve really focused on making it really easy to:

- Access and edit files by mounting them on the Mac desktop
- Access phpMyAdmin and other applications over a secure tunnel with a single-click
- Test your code running on Linux, often closer to production

You can download the first version of XAMPP-VM here:

https://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-files/XAMPP-VM/XAMPP-VM-7.1.6-0-preview.dmg

md5: e32f4fc998b10b9b1ac8e444ef13b10f

In the XAMPP dashboard FAQ you can find how to manage your services or how to copy your PHP files to the Apache document root. We continue working on adding more info to our docs.

We are looking for your feedback in this forum thread!

See some screenshots below:
ImageImageImageImage
Beltran
Power-User

XAMPP version: 10
Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X

Re: New XAMPP-VM idea for the Mac

Postby Marble68 » 03. July 2017 00:40

This looks great.

However - for me - it doesn't start.
It just gives me an error: cannot map MAC address "1a:3e:72:59:10:7b" to IP: Could not find an IP address for 1a:3e:72:59:10:7b

I'm on 10.12.5 Sierra - and I also have Parallels installed.

This isn't a valid MAC address for my machine that I know of.
Marble68

Operating System: 2008 R2 server 64bit

Postby Beltran » 03. July 2017 16:12

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! To try to figure out if the error was related to the mac taking too much to be assigned, could you send us the output of executing:

grep -i -3 "1a:3e:72:59:10:7b" /var/db/dhcpd_leases

Does it works if you reopen it and try to start again? If that not solves the issue, could you try initializing again? To do it, just close the application, open a Terminal and execute:

rm -rf ~/.bitnami/stackman

That will remove the copied machine and the next time you open the application, it will perform the initialization again.

Sorry about the inconvenience!
Beltran
Power-User

Postby Wraight » 04. July 2017 15:05

Hi,
Unfortunately, i've got some problems with XAMPP-VM.
I was trying to execute tar archive on mounted volume when XAMPP crashed and i saw some notice about NTFS filesystem.
Since it happened, every time i try to start XAMPP-VM i see that error -

NFO: Starting "XAMPP" stack
ERROR: Error starting "XAMPP" stack: cannot start stack: ssh not accessible

Could you help me to solve this issue please?
Wraight

XAMPP version: XAMPP-VM 7.1.16
Operating System: macOS 10.12.5

Postby SorcererA » 05. July 2017 09:44

I have just tried in in my new 201707 MBP. I have encountered a problem with phpmyadmin.
I changed the root password and then I cannot login to phpmyadmin any more. I tried to change config.inc.php but setting password or auth_type, but none of it is working.
Then I tried to SSH to the IP with the VM and hopefully reset the password inside the mysql, unfortunately, I don't know the password of the VM in SSH. So I can only reinstall and start everything from scratch again.
Is there any way that I can resolve the the above mentioned problem(s)?
SorcererA

Postby Beltran » 05. July 2017 15:29

SorcererA wrote:I have just tried in in my new 201707 MBP. I have encountered a problem with phpmyadmin.
I changed the root password and then I cannot login to phpmyadmin any more. I tried to change config.inc.php but setting password or auth_type, but none of it is working.
Then I tried to SSH to the IP with the VM and hopefully reset the password inside the mysql, unfortunately, I don't know the password of the VM in SSH. So I can only reinstall and start everything from scratch again.
Is there any way that I can resolve the the above mentioned problem(s)?

How did you change the MySQL root password? Once you change the root password, the phpMyAdmin web application will request your new credentials, in this case "root" and the same password of the database. If you want to autoconfigure the application in order to not having to specify the password every time, you should configure it in the config.inc.php as you mention but it is not a good practice to have the password there.

You can also use the "xampp security" script for configuring the root password. This script not only changes the root password but also the "pma" password. You can check our docs at https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_stackman.html in the section "Is XAMPP-VM production ready?".

Wraight wrote:Hi,
Unfortunately, i've got some problems with XAMPP-VM.
I was trying to execute tar archive on mounted volume when XAMPP crashed and i saw some notice about NTFS filesystem.
Since it happened, every time i try to start XAMPP-VM i see that error -

NFO: Starting "XAMPP" stack
ERROR: Error starting "XAMPP" stack: cannot start stack: ssh not accessible

Could you help me to solve this issue please?

If you do not have any info in the XAMPP stack you can clean the data removing the "~/.bitnami/" folder and start again the XAMPP-VM, that way you will start from scratch. I would like to know more about the issue to try to reproduce it. Did you execute "tar" from your terminal in your OS X or running the command using the terminal from the XAMPP-VM?
Beltran
Power-User

Postby nar3nd3r » 05. July 2017 19:34

Hello Everyone,

Had this been resolved in any way, cause I could replicate it on my machine. When I manually start from terminal, I see this

narender@macBook:[MacOS] ./stackman
INFO[2017-07-06T00:15:14+05:30] Using "/Applications/XAMPP.app/Contents/Resources"
DEBU[2017-07-06T00:15:14+05:30] Copying "/Applications/XAMPP.app/Contents/Resources/machines/xampp/machine.qcow2" -> "/Users/narender/.bitnami/stackman/machines/xampp/vm/machine.qcow2"
DEBU[2017-07-06T00:15:15+05:30] Copying "/Applications/XAMPP.app/Contents/Resources/machines/xampp/initrd.img" -> "/Users/narender/.bitnami/stackman/machines/xampp/vm/initrd.img"
DEBU[2017-07-06T00:15:15+05:30] Copying "/Applications/XAMPP.app/Contents/Resources/machines/xampp/vmlinuz" -> "/Users/narender/.bitnami/stackman/machines/xampp/vm/vmlinuz"
INFO[2017-07-06T00:15:15+05:30] Creating SSH key...

While on GUI, shows nothing as shown in snapshot.

Any help would be appreciated.
nar3nd3r

XAMPP version: 7.1.6
Operating System: mac OS SIerra

Postby SorcererA » 06. July 2017 05:23

Beltran wrote:How did you change the MySQL root password? Once you change the root password, the phpMyAdmin web application will request your new credentials, in this case "root" and the same password of the database. If you want to autoconfigure the application in order to not having to specify the password every time, you should configure it in the config.inc.php as you mention but it is not a good practice to have the password there.

You can also use the "xampp security" script for configuring the root password. This script not only changes the root password but also the "pma" password. You can check our docs at https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_stackman.html in the section "Is XAMPP-VM production ready?".

Reproduce the problem:
I change the password through phpmyadmin -> user accounts -> root@localhost, after save, the pma can longer be login again.
I have tried to modify the config.inc.php after doing this but seems not working. So the pma seems permanently not working after changing the password in the above way.

Beltran wrote:If you do not have any info in the XAMPP stack you can clean the data removing the "~/.bitnami/" folder and start again the XAMPP-VM, that way you will start from scratch. I would like to know more about the issue to try to reproduce it. Did you execute "tar" from your terminal in your OS X or running the command using the terminal from the XAMPP-VM?

Thanks for the "~/.bitnami/" guidance.
I started the terminal from OS X and SSH IPoFXampp (seems wrong) so I tried the "terminal" option in Preference, it works and it can also delete files created by default apache user "daemon" too which I cannot delete when mount the drive to host OS X since the ownership is different.
SorcererA

Postby Wraight » 06. July 2017 11:43

If you do not have any info in the XAMPP stack you can clean the data removing the "~/.bitnami/" folder and start again the XAMPP-VM, that way you will start from scratch. I would like to know more about the issue to try to reproduce it. Did you execute "tar" from your terminal in your OS X or running the command using the terminal from the XAMPP-VM?

I mount volume /opt/lampp from XAMPP tab volumes, than click to explore, after that i create new folder in httdocs and copy tar.gz archive about 800mb there. Than just click to that archive and process of extracting begins. Some minutes later i see the error window with text that connections with server were lost and two buttons - skip and shutdown all - https://monosnap.com/file/uMkO7fR7viD7m1zy5Sbcr1AqGycyje

When i try to mount volume again i'm getting can't mount /opt/lampp from 192.168.64.3 onto /Users/ghost/.bitnami/stackman/machines/xampp/volumes/root: Operation timed out

If i try to stop-start XMAPP - get "cannot start stack: ssh not accessible"
Wraight

Postby Beltran » 06. July 2017 19:05

Reproduce the problem:
I change the password through phpmyadmin -> user accounts -> root@localhost, after save, the pma can longer be login again.
I have tried to modify the config.inc.php after doing this but seems not working. So the pma seems permanently not working after changing the password in the above way.

Ah ok, in that case you should follow our docs to change the "pma" and the "root" password running the "/opt/lampp/xampp security" script.

it works and it can also delete files created by default apache user "daemon" too which I cannot delete when mount the drive to host OS X since the ownership is different.

Correct, you has root privileges in the terminal.

I mount volume /opt/lampp from XAMPP tab volumes, than click to explore, after that i create new folder in httdocs and copy tar.gz archive about 800mb there. Than just click to that archive and process of extracting begins. Some minutes later i see the error window with text that connections with server were lost and two buttons - skip and shutdown all - https://monosnap.com/file/uMkO7fR7viD7m ... r1AqGycyje

Thanks for posting more details. We could reproduce it and we are looking into this issue. For now you can start with a clean machine (you can remote the ~/.bitnami for a new virtual machine), copy the tarball to the mounted folder and then use the "Terminal" to uncompress the tarball via command line into the linux virtual machine itself. Please post if this workaround works for you, we will continue working on this issue.
Beltran
Power-User

Postby Wraight » 07. July 2017 19:48

Thanks for posting more details. We could reproduce it and we are looking into this issue. For now you can start with a clean machine (you can remote the ~/.bitnami for a new virtual machine), copy the tarball to the mounted folder and then use the "Terminal" to uncompress the tarball via command line into the linux virtual machine itself. Please post if this workaround works for you, we will continue working on this issue.

Unfortunately, that workaround you mentioned before doesn't work either. When i try to extract my tar archive by executing command tar -xv name_of_arc.tar - nothing happens - like system just freeze and i can't interrupt executing even with Ctrl+C combination.
Wraight

Postby eccarreon » 08. July 2017 00:06

Hello everyone,

I got this error while starting XAMPP "Error starting "XAMPP stack" on Show Details, i got "cannot calculate MAC address: Unable to create VM (-85377018)". I am using OSX El Capitan. Can you help me?
eccarreon

XAMPP version: 7.1.6-0
Operating System: Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

Postby SorcererA » 08. July 2017 05:51

How to setup the php sendmail in XAMPP-VM?
Is there anyway to set it up so that i could do some email testing locally?

Previously, I worked in Windows XAMPP version which provide a local program to send email and mail are stored in text file.
And I found some XAMPP for mac using phpmail that seems to work, so I wonder if there is any preferred or suggested way to set it up in VM.

Many thanks.
SorcererA

Postby Beltran » 08. July 2017 11:33

Unfortunately, that workaround you mentioned before doesn't work either. When i try to extract my tar archive by executing command tar -xv name_of_arc.tar - nothing happens - like system just freeze and i can't interrupt executing even with Ctrl+C combination.

Hi Wraight, we are working on a new version that fixes this issue. This is a preview version that you can try on your side:

https://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-files/XAMPP-VM/XAMPP-VM-7.1.6-0-preview-1.dmg

md5: eb2299fe4889eedd869b3bac5ab667ad

You can start from scratch deleting the "~/.bitnami/" folder. Post here if that works for you.

"cannot calculate MAC address: Unable to create VM (-85377018)".

Hi eccarreon, we continue investigating why this happen in specific systems.
Beltran
Power-User

Postby Lost in Cyber Space » 10. July 2017 09:47

Same problem with "cannot calculate MAC address: Unable to create VM (-85377018)"

Any thoughts on what is going on here? I'm not great at this stuff but should i put in the host file this ip x.x.x.x = vm when VM calls ? ( I know so techie lol )
Running Sierra 10.12.5
On Imac mid 2010

(Also i did post on the above thread about having the same problem and i think i put the i mac at mid 2014 so i will fix that up )

Regards
Lost in Cyber Space

XAMPP version: vm 7.x
Operating System: OSX Sierra 10.12.5

Next

Return to XAMPP for macOS