How can I know what is my FTP user and password?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How can I know what is my FTP user and password?

Postby naitxu » 09. March 2017 17:03

Hi everybody!

I'm trying to install a new plugin in my local host, but I can't because it appears this message:

To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.

Hostname
FTP Username
FTP Password
Connection Type: FTP or FTPS (SSL)

I tried with different users and passwords and it didn't work. It says: "Failed to connect to FTP Server localhost/MYDOMAINNAME/:21"

Do you know where I could find this information in my Xampp dashboard?

Thank you so much and sorry for the inconveniences.

Naiara
naitxu

XAMPP version: 5.6.30-0
Operating System: OS X El Capitan

Re: How can I know what is my FTP user and password?

Postby Nobbie » 10. March 2017 12:44

naitxu wrote:Do you know where I could find this information in my Xampp dashboard?

Its not a question of Xampp and neiher of the dashboard. You need to run an FTP Server and need to configure that Server properly. Most FTP Servers rely on the standard Users of the system (i.e. the known Users of your OSX), you need a UserID which has the Xampp htdocs folder as Home. You might for example create a User "Xampp" or similar and assign /Appications/.../htdocs (i do not have an OSX installation, please insert the appropriate path to Xampp here) as HOME. Grant sufficient rights for the User "Xampp" in order to write files into htdocs and finally this is the FTP account you need.

You need some skills about OSX and FTP in order to run an FTP Server.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS